German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our 9 month old to be groomed today and met an older lady and her service dog. She called us over to meet our puppy, because she loves shepherds. Kaiser greeted her happily, then se told her dog to say hi. Kaiser greeted her dog happily too, tail wags and no hackles. They met nose to nose. The other dog sniffed for a minute, went stiff, snarled his nose up, and jabbed his head forward at Kaiser a bit, like a "come at me bro" move. Kaiser hackled and started barking the meanest barks I've ever heard come out of him. He didn't lunge or pull or try to fight, just barked and growled. We apologized ( the lady made the comment that he barks just like her german shepher and seemed delighted. What?!) and went inside for grooming. Met another dog just inside the door, we thought we were the only ones there, but Kaiser just wagged and yipped and play bowed. He's been snarled at and nipped at before, mostly by yappy purse dogs and once by another gs, but has always ignored and walked on by like a polite gentleman.

Did he just not like this particular dog, or should we be worried? Is it aggression if the other dog "started it"?

·
Registered
120 Posts
If he didnt lunge or try to fight, I wouldnt call it aggression. However, you should take control of the situation. No need to be tense, Just give your dog instruction to sit and ignore the other dog. This lets him know that you can handle the situation yourself. The other dog scared him, and so he barked and growled in defense. Sounds like the other lady doesnt know what she's doing with her dogs.... the way you say she reacted seems strange to me.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I think they were posturing. Rather, the lady's dog was posturing, and yours said, "Hey! I'm not taking any crap from you!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts