German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6.5 month old gsd pup named Preston. His coat is smooth on the side, then has longer, curly-ish, rough/ harsh, hair-like fur on top. I have heard of there being certain lines of gsds that have this? Is it common? Or is it a breeding line? Is it just somthing they have during winter? Is he going to out grow it?..:apple:
Here is a picture--

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Looks like his adult fur is coming in. :)

It will more than likely look like that for awhile then smooth out. Stark had a faux hawk down his back for the longest time.. then it smoothed out.. I like that look though!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Yup, looks like adult coat growing in - it will blend in and not be as noticeable as he gets older. I doubt it has any connection to his lines.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is the ugly puppy stage lol
He will grow out of it
My older boy had it for a couple of months, and my pup has it now

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
That is the ugly puppy stage lol
He will grow out of it
My older boy had it for a couple of months, and my pup has it now
Or not. :)
Harley will be 4 in April and still has it. It's more prominent in the winter. Not the best picture, I ran outside in my shorts to take it and it's cold outside!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yoko has the same coat 'pattern' as Harley, just harder to see on a black dog in pictures.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Yoko has the same coat 'pattern' as Harley, just harder to see on a black dog in pictures.
It was hard to see in the original picture for Harley too, that's why I put it in gray scale. :) It's really hard to get a good picture of our black cat Luna. All you see is this big black blob of a face and two gold eyes popping out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 7.5 month old still has really wavy hair (more wavy than yours) from his hackles all the way to his butt. Not sure if he's going to grow out of it, at this point I'm thinking probably not. I don't remember my last GSD having the wavy hair like Chief does. And he's not a long hair..

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My 7.5 month old still has really wavy hair (more wavy than yours) from his hackles all the way to his butt. Not sure if he's going to grow out of it, at this point I'm thinking probably not. I don't remember my last GSD having the wavy hair like Chief does. And he's not a long hair..
My DDR/Czech male is constantly called a long hair by non-working line familiar people. Everyone at working lines immediately pick him out as Czech/DDR. I wouldn't call his hair wavy, but some places have what I'd call a cowlick

Sucks about the bloat btw :( My male got bloat the summer before last, but I caught it within the hour and we did the surgery and sutured the stomach to the rib cage

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
And to the OP, my female had that mohawk thing at that age, but its gone now for the most part (15 months)

·
Registered
74 Posts
My DDR/Czech male is constantly called a long hair by non-working line familiar people. Everyone at working lines immediately pick him out as Czech/DDR. I wouldn't call his hair wavy, but some places have what I'd call a cowlick

Sucks about the bloat btw :( My male got bloat the summer before last, but I caught it within the hour and we did the surgery and sutured the stomach to the rib cage
I got her to the emergency vet clinic within a couple of hours but they didn't mention bloat so they kept her overnight to give her fluids/monitor her (symptoms typical of bloat, throwing up, uncomfortable, etc.). No improvement by the morning and the AM vet mentioned the bloat. Then we did the Xray and rushed her into surgery but it was too late :( Terrible, absolutely terrible.

I was debating getting Chief's stomach tacked to avoid possible bloat since I never want to go through that again. I decided not to in the end.

Back on topic though - when chief gets startled or really excited, his hair raises up in about a 4-5" wide strip from his hackles to his butt. Pretty crazy looking.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I got her to the emergency vet clinic within a couple of hours but they didn't mention bloat so they kept her overnight to give her fluids/monitor her (symptoms typical of bloat, throwing up, uncomfortable, etc.). No improvement by the morning and the AM vet mentioned the bloat. Then we did the Xray and rushed her into surgery but it was too late :( Terrible, absolutely terrible.

I was debating getting Chief's stomach tacked to avoid possible bloat since I never want to go through that again. I decided not to in the end.

Back on topic though - when chief gets startled or really excited, his hair raises up in about a 4-5" wide strip from his hackles to his butt. Pretty crazy looking.
My male's raises on a patch on his butt, and right at the hackles with mild raise between the two...

Was the bloat not obvious? Jäger looked like he swallowed a basketball. I knew what was happening within a second of looking at him. They filet'ed him open from stem to stern

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
You're telling me I don't have the only Mohawk rockin' GSD?! Dang! That's a good looking dog in your avatar.

I wish it was that obvious. Unfortunately it was intestinal torsion which is the same concept as bloat except the intestines flipped and cut off blood supply rather than the stomach flipping. There wasn't any noticeable buldging or anything and her symptoms were just like she ate something bad and threw up, couldn't get comfortable, moving from spot to spot, and rolling on her back which she never did. Bloat didn't cross my mind (or the vet at the emergency clinic when I took her there..) at all. Hindsight is 20/20

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
You're telling me I don't have the only Mohawk rockin' GSD?! Dang! That's a good looking dog in your avatar.

I wish it was that obvious. Unfortunately it was intestinal torsion which is the same concept as bloat except the intestines flipped and cut off blood supply rather than the stomach flipping. There wasn't any noticeable buldging or anything and her symptoms were just like she ate something bad and threw up, couldn't get comfortable, moving from spot to spot, and rolling on her back which she never did. Bloat didn't cross my mind (or the vet at the emergency clinic when I took her there..) at all. Hindsight is 20/20
Thanks :) Thats is "whatcha lookin at chucklehead" picture. The fullsize is better :)

Ahhh... i see now. I thought it was gastric torsion. The intestines still inflate from digestion gases, but not nearly to the degree of the stomach. Same concept though... a few hours without blood and the tissue dies just the same. An inflated stomach also pressures the surrounding organs and stems their blood supply too. My male only had some minor tissue bruising, so there was no cutting of the stomach itself, which is why he had a great recovery (despite the vet tech and my best efforts, he jumped into my lifted FJ one day after surgery).

I was fortunate in a way... one of my closest friend's great dane died 2 months prior, and I helped him get to and return from the vet, as well as deal with the situation a few days later when he passed. I was now very familiar with the signs, prognosis, treatment, and aftermath. In a way, his dog didn't die in vain, as it most assuredly saved my dog's life

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts