German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
my puppy is 2.5 months old.. born on december 29 2009
he plays alot with our 4 year old dog which is a boxer/bulldog mix. they get pretty intense at times, but it was never concerning. they growl, bark, you know, normal dog stuff haha.

recently though (last week or 2) we have noticed Kodi soometimes doesn't like to be handled.
sometimes if my wife puts him into her lap, rubs his belly, massages his ears. or just holds him, he gets really mad...thrashing around, growling intensively and showing teeth, he hasnt snapped at or bitten us, but it is concerning.
we have a 3 year old that loves the puppy and likes to hug on him.

he doesnt seem aggressive in any other way, kind to strangers and other dogs so far. so I believe it to be a result of playing so rough with the other dog that he has associated it as an appropriate reaction when he doesnt feel like being held. rubbed whatever.

sometimes he is fine sometimes he gets mad..seems like he wants us to pet him on his terms haha.

I really really want to raise a good dog. he will begin puppy class in two weeks.

any opinions? advice?
thanks!
cc

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
IMHO puppies go through a stage where they don't want to be held, they want to run and play, way cooler! Someone holding/confining them limits this so they spaz out and want to escape.

Don't worry, when he's a good, oh say 55-75lbs, he'll be dying to get into your lap again. :wild:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
it's really not normal for a dog to enjoy hugs, but Zeva usually does... but not always. I know there are other's there that hug their dogs. When the dog tries to get away, I let them. Feeling cornered is gonna do nothing but incite the flight or fight instinct. If he doesn't want snuggled, respect that. Pet his side. My dogs always liked pats on the ribs. Sometimes, like us, they just went left alone.

No human wants rubbed on all the time, I can't imagine that a dog would enjoy it either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ecco typically doesn't like being restrained in any way. Some time she starts thinking she the boss around here and and she is straddled and held in one position till she chills. Mostly she just likes sitting next to me and rest her head on my lap, leg, foot any part that is near by. Also i think she gets hot sometimes so she does want anything that is going to make her hotter.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
it's really not normal for a dog to enjoy hugs, but Zeva usually does... but not always. .
I am so glad that Hondo likes hugs. Now that he is bigger, I can walk up to him, straddle him and hug him from behind. He'll lift his head (like looking up to the sky) and fit it in the crook of my neck. Nothing makes me feel better when I've had a bad day....:wub:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to you all.
I just want to be cautios you know :)
he can sit and down..
starting to get leave it.
but he hates come, haha..always something better to do than come :p

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Haha Baya used to drive us crazy looking so cute and not wanting to cuddle. Now that shes older she loves to :) Sounds like he is coming along great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts