German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dexter loves his obedience class and is doing really well. But at the end of the last 2 classes, when he has 10 mins play time he doesnt play with the other dogs instead he sits and stares at me or the trainer. The other dogs and their owners come up to him to play but he ignores them. It seems he wont leave "working mode". When we go out at the park for fun he loves other dogs and visiting people. But I want him to be able to also have fun in class when he is released. What am I doing wrong? Is he starting to be anti social?

·
Registered
542 Posts
No, he is doing what a German shepherd is supposed to be doing. He is indeed, "working". He is looking at you and asking, "What are WE going to do together next?" To him, doing something together with you is a lot more fun than messing about with random puppies. Feel blessed.
That is exactly what you want from a GSD and part of the many qualities that differentiate them from your average dog.
Welcome to the world of working dogs. You need to step up too!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Don't let him play at class. I let Fiona do that to socialize her. Eventually, she thought class was all playtime and no work time. If you have a good dog now, keep it that way. It took months to get Fiona back on track.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Many GSDs do not care to be friends with other dogs. Doesn't mean they are aggressive towards other dogs, just means they'll ignore them. Aloof, not anti-social.

·
Super Moderator
32,532 Posts
How old is Dexter?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dexter is 13 weeks now. I thought rewarding him with play would be good for him after all his hard work. As long as I am releasing him to do it. Hes losing his puppy playfulness. If we have him at the park and kids throw the ball for him he just looks at it. My other two dogs are all over that ball. If I throw the ball he gets it because we have worked on fetch. He lets everyone pet him at the park and wags his tail. The other day a mini maltese came up to him (with his owner) and Dexter licked her once in the face, but that was it. He doesnt play like regular dogs do, unless its me or my daughter interacting with him. He wasnt like this a few weeks ago. Isnt he too young to be so serious?

When you say step up? what do you mean?:) Do you mean its time to step up his training?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
When Apache was in puppy class he was very serious, my husband used to tease and say he was going to get him one of those pocket protecters like nerds keep their pens in no offence to any one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My dog didnt play much in class either, or at the dog park. If my husband and I run around at the dog park he follows us and plays, but he doesn't much play with other dogs. It's totally normal. Now that were in puppy agility, that focus is paying off. If you want to reward him with play after he's done working (great idea IMO), bring a tug to class or something so he can play with you. He doesn't NEED to play with the other dogs, so don't worry about it. Also, be grateful your dog have nice drive and focus and finds 'working' enjoyable. Some of the other owners in my current class would kill for that kind of attention.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You everyone for your replies. I feel so much better knowing its not an anti social thing and your right I should appreciate his focus. Im just used to play with my other dogs. I do need to step up and put him in additional training to give him what he wants. After all I asked for him, he didnt ask for me.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When Apache was in puppy class he was very serious, my husband used to tease and say he was going to get him one of those pocket protecters like nerds keep their pens in no offence to any one.
Ha ha . That is so funny but true.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My puppy was 13 weeks when she was in school and she loved to play at the end of class, I did have to release her. As she got older she was more focused on me. She was really interested in her trainer to rather then other dogs, but she accepted them when they came to her. Now she loves the dogs that she knows and will ignore dogs that she doesn't know...but those dogs she loves, she really loves them:)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't know how long your class is, but he might also just be tired. I had mine in formal obedience when she was two, and after a two-hour class she was exhausted and didn't feel like playing. It was a lot of focused work with a goal of getting an CD title. We also took her to Petsmart classes before that, and she wanted to play more then because it was a lot more of sitting around and talking to humans than working on skills.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
My GSDs have always done the same thing at puppy classes. From the very start, they would have their attention and focus on me, rather than on the other dogs. They would play when released, but were always "checking in" with me. Often they'd leave the playgroup and just sit in front of me, looking up as if to say "Let's go back to work! What do you want me to do next?" This is one of the things I love about GSDs and why they are so easy to train--they want to work with you. It's a good thing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts