1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
He looks PB with soft ears.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
That would be my guess also. Looks a lot like my Maxwell.

Beautiful coloring!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I agree. Also looks like the ears are trying to stand up - and may do so once he gets better nutrition.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It's pretty hard to tell from that picture. It's obvious that he's cute though!

He looks like a sable with maybe a bit of something else mixed in...something about the shape of his face.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
handsome
yes looks to be pure

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Looks to me like he could definately be pure bred. He just needs "help" with his ears. He is a fairly young puppy, I bet his head will "fill out" with age.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDLooks to me like he could definately be pure bred. He just needs "help" with his ears. He is a fairly young puppy, I bet his head will "fill out" with age.
The site says he's 6 months, is it normal for them have such a skinny head at that age?
Do you think his ears could be "helped" at that age? I wasn't sure since one looks like it is pretty far down...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Temperament is more important than the appearance of the ears. Having said that, diet will make a big difference to the ears.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looks purebred to me also, and is very cute!

Honestly I wouldn't get too caught up about what he looks like now - I have always adopted from shelters and have been amazed at what good food and a good home do. In one picture it looks like he may also have some carpal hyperextension? As for ears - if the pup is the right fit for you would it matter if his ears were down?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: SpiritsmamLooks purebred to me also, and is very cute!

Honestly I wouldn't get too caught up about what he looks like now - I have always adopted from shelters and have been amazed at what good food and a good home do. In one picture it looks like he may also have some carpal hyperextension? As for ears - if the pup is the right fit for you would it matter if his ears were down?
No, it wouldn't matter about his ears if he were a good match-- wouldn't even matter what breed he was (I'm considering some non-GSDs too.) I'm just curious if it is something that might be correctable or might change with age because I do love the Shepherd look!

I didn't notice that about the hyperextension until you pointed it out. I wonder if it's just the angle of the photo... If I go to see him I will definitely take a closer look and ask the rescue about that.

·
Super Moderator
7,731 Posts
the fact that his ears are doing something completely different in each of those three photos (likely taken seconds or minutes apart) means that his ears are still "trying to find themselves". my girls ears have been erect since i got her at 10mos, but they both pointed left for about a month and a half, then crossed over each other for a week before they went straight at a year. now they're the strongest and i cant get them to move if i wanted. my male on the other hand is not a multi tasker - so every now and again (sick, stressed, swimming, intense bone chewing) and his tips will fall over, but more often than not, they're up.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowIt's pretty hard to tell from that picture. It's obvious that he's cute though!

He looks like a sable with maybe a bit of something else mixed in...something about the shape of his face.
I agree w/BowWow - his face shape looks a little too "round" or something for PB. He looks like a mix to me, but he's gorgeous!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I talked to his "foster mom" and she said she thinks he is purebred, she owns 2 GSDs herself... She also said he is even more handsome in person! I am probably going to go meet him soon, maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Originally Posted By: ChicagocanineI am probably going to go meet him soon, maybe tomorrow.
Please keep us posted when you go to meet him. Hope it works out for you, good luck!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got back from seeing the dog. He was really sweet and playful. He does look purebred, but Spiritsmam was right about his wrists... The rescuer called it "flat feet" and she said her Shepherd has the same thing but it doesn't cause him any problems.
I'm going to look at another dog tomorrow...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts