German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I just wanted to know if this guy over here is a swiss shepherd or a GSD.

And i also wanted to know if these are gsd...

They're not pure, right? Cause they don't have erected ears and their backs are straight. It could maybe be an old gsd? Idk, I'd like to know pls

Registered
They鈥檙e probably not purebred, but they could also just be very poor representations of the breed too. Does it matter? Are you taking one of the puppies home?

Registered
Erect ears and "straight backs" really have nothing to do with whether or not they are GSD's. Puppies are not born with erect ears. It can take several months, even a year, for them to stand.

"Straight back" is determined by the genes of the parents. Some lines have flatter looking backs than others, and whether or not the back looks straight, or parallel to the ground, will depend on how the dog is posed. It generally depends on the angulation of the hind legs.

Spend some time here reading and you will have a better idea of what I'm trying to say. There is a lot of good information to be had here if you are interested in these wonderful dogs.

Welcome to the forum.

Discussion Starter #4
They鈥檙e probably not purebred, but they could also just be very poor representations of the breed too. Does it matter? Are you taking one of the puppies home?
Oh no, it doesn't matter, in fact i think they're even more beautiful than a common gsd, and not having a curved back implies less hip health issues. Yeah, I'm maybe getting one of those puppies, i was only curious to know. Thanks!鈽

Discussion Starter #5
Erect ears and "straight backs" really have nothing to do with whether or not they are GSD's. Puppies are not born with erect ears. It can take several months, even a year, for them to stand.

"Straight back" is determined by the genes of the parents. Some lines have flatter looking backs than others, and whether or not the back looks straight, or parallel to the ground, will depend on how the dog is posed. It generally depends on the angulation of the hind legs.

Spend some time here reading and you will have a better idea of what I'm trying to say. There is a lot of good information to be had here if you are interested in these wonderful dogs.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you! Yeah, i am aware that when german shepherds are born, they have floppy ears, and it takes them a while to get them erect. But i think this dog is over 2 or 3 years old, so idk, it's weird.

They're also different from any other working or show line I've ever seen. I am no expert so it's good to know, i was really curious, and I think they're beautiful anyways, thank you for the info!

Registered
"not having a curved back implies less hip issues."

That is not correct. So called straight backed dogs can have just as many problems with hips than any other type.

Curved backs are called roach backs and they have nothing to do with hip health. Hip dysplasia is genetic. It has no relation to the shape of the back.

Show line dogs generally have more angulation in their rear legs than working line dogs. That makes their backs look more sloped or slanted downward. A lot of that also depends on how the dog is standing. But the back itself is straight, not curved.

Sorry, but I'm confused about which particular dog you are asking about. I don't know what picture you are referring to.

Registered
A white German shepherd is no different from any other colour of German shepherd. There can be white shepherds and black and tan or sable shepherds in the same litter, if both parents carry the gene for white, which is recessive. The white pups can be registered as purebred with the kennel club, but can't be shown in conformation classes as the colour is considered a fault.

That is the reason the Swiss White 'breed' came into existence. They are actually purebred German shepherds, but are bred to have the white gene. and only the white gene. If you trace the pedigrees of any of these dogs back far enough, you will find German shepherds of other colours.

Re. the ears of GSDs: sometimes the ears of a purebred pup will not come up, and the dog will have what's called 'helicopter ears' as an adult. Of course, this is a fault, and such a dog can't be shown in the show ring.

Even with a GSD that has normal ears, sometimes they will lay them back submissively. That could be what we are seeing in that photo that shows the adult dogs.

Discussion Starter #8
"not having a curved back implies less hip issues."

That is not correct. So called straight backed dogs can have just as many problems with hips than any other type.

Curved backs are called roach backs and they have nothing to do with hip health. Hip dysplasia is genetic. It has no relation to the shape of the back.

Show line dogs generally have more angulation in their rear legs than working line dogs. That makes their backs look more sloped or slanted downward. A lot of that also depends on how the dog is standing. But the back itself is straight, not curved.

Sorry, but I'm confused about which particular dog you are asking about. I don't know what picture you are referring to.

Yeah, i guess it's a thing of the breeder or the genes. I am referring to the fourth or fifth pic. I'm sorry if I'm not using the correct vocabulary, english is not my first language 馃槄

These dogs are black and tan, and you'd say that it looks like a west german show line, but show lines have a roach back, this one, even if it's not well positioned has a completely straight form and floppy ears. That's why I'm confused cause it's clearly a gsd

Discussion Starter #9
A white German shepherd is no different from any other colour of German shepherd. There can be white shepherds and black and tan or sable shepherds in the same litter, if both parents carry the gene for white, which is recessive. The white pups can be registered as purebred with the kennel club, but can't be shown in conformation classes as the colour is considered a fault.

That is the reason the Swiss White 'breed' came into existence. They are actually purebred German shepherds, but are bred to have the white gene. and only the white gene. If you trace the pedigrees of any of these dogs back far enough, you will find German shepherds of other colours.

Re. the ears of GSDs: sometimes the ears of a purebred pup will not come up, and the dog will have what's called 'helicopter ears' as an adult. Of course, this is a fault, and such a dog can't be shown in the show ring.

Even with a GSD that has normal ears, sometimes they will lay them back submissively. That could be what we are seeing in that photo that shows the adult dogs.
Oh okay, interesting! I never heard of the helicopter ears, is it genetic or is it a thing of the pup? Cause I think every member of the litter has floppy ears too.
Thank you!

Registered
Sorry to correct you again, but show lines don't usually have roach backs. Any dog can have a roached back.

Show lines dogs backs are supposed to be straight, like other types. Roach back is a fault. Show line dogs have more slant to their backs, not rounded or roached backs.

Are the dog's ears always like that, or just at the moment of the picture? As Sunsilver said, ears are not always standing, 24/7. Depending on the emotions of the dog at a particular time they can be up or down.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I would say that dog is a mix of GSD types, not a pure show line type. Others know much more than I do about such things, so someone else may correct this or have a different opinion. It's not possible for me to know without the pedigree.

GSD's come in many shapes and sizes, and mixtures of lines. There are also well bred dogs and those who aren't so well bred. All of those things will determine how the dog looks.

Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to correct you again, but show lines don't usually have roach backs. Any dog can have a roached back.

Show lines dogs backs are supposed to be straight, like other types. Roach back is a fault. Show line dogs have more slant to their backs, not rounded or roached backs.

Are the dog's ears always like that, or just at the moment of the picture? As Sunsilver said, ears are not always standing, 24/7. Depending on the emotions of the dog at a particular time they can be up or down.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I would say that dog is a mix of GSD types, not a pure show line type. Others know much more than I do about such things, so someone else may correct this or have a different opinion. It's not possible for me to know without the pedigree.

GSD's come in many shapes and sizes, and mixtures of lines. There are also well bred dogs and those who aren't so well bred. All of those things will determine how the dog looks.
Okay! I think the ears are always like that.

Registered
Who is who in these pictures? The white dog doesn't look well cared for. Have you visited the place? What are they asking for a pup?

Registered
Oh okay, interesting! I never heard of the helicopter ears, is it genetic or is it a thing of the pup? Cause I think every member of the litter has floppy ears too.
Thank you!
Correct, ALL GSD pups have floppy ears. If the ears don't stand by the time the dog is an adult, they will stay that way for the rest of its life. That's when they are sometimes called 'helicopter ears'. Have tried to find a good picture of an adult with ears like that, but haven't had any luck. And yes, you would not breed an adult with helicopter ears, because they might pass on the fault to their pups.

One of my dogs didn't get her ears up to stay until 9 months old! I was getting pretty nervous by the time they came up to stay!

Registered
Correct, ALL GSD pups have floppy ears. If the ears don't stand by the time the dog is an adult, they will stay that way for the rest of its life. That's when they are sometimes called 'helicopter ears'. Have tried to find a good picture of an adult with ears like that, but haven't had any luck. And yes, you would not breed an adult with helicopter ears, because they might pass on the fault to their pups.

One of my dogs didn't get her ears up to stay until 9 months old! I was getting pretty nervous by the time they came up to stay!
Slight correction:
Adult GSD with ears down have a fault (sometimes genetic, sometimes random). It's rare but not uncommon.

However when puppy ears (sometimes one) go up and them down again, cross each other before straightening etc, this generally means they will eventually stand straight but the process of up/down/cross/straight is what referred to as helicopter ears due to the similarity to helicopter blades.

Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

It could be it, I'm not really sure until I see them, but I watched a video and I think its just that they're happy.

Thank you for the info!

Discussion Starter #17
Slight correction:
Adult GSD with ears down have a fault (sometimes genetic, sometimes random). It's rare but not uncommon.
View attachment 569846
However when puppy ears (sometimes one) go up and them down again, cross each other before straightening etc, this generally means they will eventually stand straight but the process of up/down/cross/straight is what referred to as helicopter ears due to the similarity to helicopter blades.
View attachment 569847

View attachment 569848
I see... Interesting, i never heard about that. So maybe that could be it, thanks!馃槉

Discussion Starter #18
Who is who in these pictures? The white dog doesn't look well cared for. Have you visited the place? What are they asking for a pup?
They are well taken care of, it's a friend who lives in a farm and she's got some gsd which sometimes she breeds. She doesn't have much experience, she's just a girl with dogs. I am not really looking for a pure breed gsd, I was just curious to know if they were pure or not because for me they didn't look like a common gsd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts