German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone...

This is Koda, I got him from a woman who found him in Surprise, Az. She searched for his owners, brought him to the Vet to see if he had a chip in him (he didn't), and after 2 weeks of nobody claiming him, she let me a adopt him. He's incredibly sweet, always at my side around the house, I don't think he was trained to do anything but lick people's fingers, haha! If I go from one room to another around the house, he's right there like my shadow.

I got to wondering if he was a pure bred German Shepherd, and I did some research. Apparently the Shepherds from the East German bloodline usually have a Sable coat with a more straight back and occasionally have spots on their tongue, all of which he has. They're also usually bigger with blockier heads, which he is. I was also wondering about the manner in which he holds his tail, which seems to be higher than most Shepherds I've seen, but apparently there's something called "Gay Tail", where they hold it higher than their body. He seems to have the typical Shepherd stance, however, with one hind leg held further back while standing still.

I was just wondering if anyone here could give me some insight as to whether or not he may be a GSD, or if not, what he may be mixed with, just to satisfy my curiosity, haha. I've had people tell me that they're certain that he's a purebred Shepherd, and others say that he looks like he's mixed with something, so I just don't know what to think he is anymore.

I put up a video on YouTube of him as well so you can get an idea of how he holds his tail. I know that the manner in which he holds is isn't really indicative of whether or not he's a purebred, but it might help to see him in action, so here you go:

·
Registered
78 Posts
He's definately a GSD! Perhaps has some mix in him, but he looks like a long-ish coated sable. If he's mixed with anything my guess would be some Golden Retriever or something similar in his genes.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
he's gorgeous ! what a great find for you and good home for him:)))

·
Super Moderator
32,038 Posts
He is an absolutely gorgeous longcoat sable purebred GSD! :wub:

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
He looks like he could be a beautiful long coat sable GSD to me to! How old do they think he is?

Have you set up dog classes yet for the pair of you? Great place to continue to bond and socialize with a new puppy.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Lucky you! You have a purebred long-coated sable German Shepherd! He carries his tail just a little higher than his spine when he is interacting with you and holds it in the standard position at rest. A real gay tail is curled up over the back more like a husky. You have an absolutely stunning boy there. If he has such a sweet disposition and loves other people, he might make a good therapy dog. Lucky him for finding a family that appreciates him! Let us know how he develops with you and always, more photos!

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Another vote here for beautiful, pure-bred, darkish-sable, long-haired GSD!

If you hang around the board, you will see that a lot of members have dogs that look similar to your beauty.

·
Super Moderator
32,038 Posts
Body double? :whistle:

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
No mix there...just a LC sable. Looks like you won the lottery on this one! He's gorgeous!

Who's the doggie in the window in the third picture?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Makes you wonder where his family went, and why he was lost? He is a stunner, lucky you to have him in your life, Melina!

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Mine lift their tail like that when they are interacting with another bitch. I think it says: "I am the Queen of Sheba, and don't you forget it."

I agree that a gay tail would be curved up over the back like a husky.

Nice pup.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, wonderful, I've always wanted a German Shepherd :) Even if he's not purebred, he's got a wonderful personality. He gets along great with my other dogs and even the cats!

Jax08 - The doggie in the window is my other dog, Riley, she's a Sheltie mix. She and Koda get along fabulously, which is great, considering Riley is usually somewhat fearful of bigger dogs.

Onyx'Girl - I don't understand it either. The lady who found him searched for 2 weeks to find his owner to no avail, and I even did my own searching because I know that if I lost my dog I'd like to have it back. As attached as I am to Koda, if his owner came up, I would send him home, it's the right thing to do, but it doesn't seem like whoever had this dog before wants him back. I know that with the economy the way it is now people are just letting dogs go because they can't afford them, it's sick. When I adopted Koda, his fur was pretty gross, I think the lady who took him wasn't too sure how to go about bathing him. I gave him a bath and brushed him out and he's gorgeous now! The hardest part was getting him into the tub, but once he was in, he took it like a champ, didn't even try to get out.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maggie - I checked out his teeth and I think he's 2, maybe 3, max. I have to get him to the vet, get checked out, etc. He seems very healthy though. As far as training classes, not yet, but I would love to. I'd like to get him into agility, I think that would be fun, but he seems more laid back and relaxed, I think the therapy dog idea that Quinnsmom suggested would be good too.

The one thing I'd like to work with him on is coming when he's called. As I said, he's right by my side around the house and in the back yard, but I've brought him to the dog park a couple times and he seems more preoccupied with marking his territory there and won't always come when I call him. I fully understand I've only had him a short time and he's still getting used to me, but I want to ensure that it doesn't become a problem in the future if I want to let him off the leash during hikes or other outdoor activities.

·
Registered
20 Posts
He's a beauty and seems so sweet. I had a similar situation -- my Zoey had been hanging around a cleaners and they were about to call the pound. I took her in and the vet thinks she's full blood GSD too. I have a male GSD and she is quite a bit smaller; plus her coloring was so different from his so I thought she was a GSD mix. Now I realize her markings are sable. Now that I have 2 of them I am finally trying to educate myself! This site has been a great help. I want to post pics but can't seem to find my *&%$ digital camera!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I def. think he is purebred! When I was a kid, I remember " fostering" a very similar long coated sable female, she was almost identical to yours! I need to get my scanner hooked up so I can scan a pic, she was awesome, but was raised in one of those 10x10 kennels for the first year and a half of her life and she was destructive. Only dog I ever met that could eat her way out of a wire crate!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Definitely no mix there... thats a long coat sable you got there and it sounds like a great find too in terms of temperment. Congrats.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts