German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
He's a sable. There is no way to tell for sure how dark he will be. Look at the parents for reference.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Very cute puppy!

Usually with sables, their color at birth is a pretty good indication of what their color will be as an adult. So, if I had to guess I'd say he will be a fairly dark sable. That said, technically sable is sable. There is no actual definition or classification of 'black sable'. It is pretty subjective ...what some people call black sable others call dark sable or just plain sable. When I think 'black sable' I think of a dog who, until you look at the undercoat appears to be a black GSD. Others may call you pup's birth coloring 'black sable'.

At the end of the day, sable is sable is sable.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here's a pic of my boy for comparison. He's a black sable. He's 6 months old now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
To emphasize my previous post, I would not call your dog black sable.... dark yes, black no.... But, it's a subjective term because genetically sable is sable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Black sable is subjective and everyone has their own idea on what it is. I don’t really bother with it. You’re dog looks like it will be pretty dark. The best way to judge is to go by how they look the day they are born. The parents also stand as a very good indicator of what to expect.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sable, but not a "black sable." The first 24 hours, I'm told, you can tell how dark a puppy will be when they mature. There was a litter I helped whelp a few months ago - Mom sable/sable, Dad black/black. I did a double-take when the first pup was born and asked if my friend was sure Mom was sable/sable cuz the puppy appeared to be black at first. Of these puppies in my picture, blue and orange are close to what we would call "black" sable. I think your puppy will be a bit like either "no colllar" or yellow/purple collar from my photo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sable, but not a "black sable." The first 24 hours, I'm told, you can tell how dark a puppy will be when they mature. There was a litter I helped whelp a few months ago - Mom sable/sable, Dad black/black. I did a double-take when the first pup was born and asked if my friend was sure Mom was sable/sable cuz the puppy appeared to be black at first. Of these puppies in my picture, blue and orange are close to what we would call "black" sable. I think your puppy will be a bit like either "no colllar" or yellow/purple collar from my photo.
View attachment 560641
He has just lightened up so much since birth, it’s hard to believe he will get dark again, even though I know sables change a lot. Do you have any pictures of the litter you posted as they aged?

·
Registered
495 Posts
He has just lightened up so much since birth, it’s hard to believe he will get dark again, even though I know sables change a lot. Do you have any pictures of the litter you posted as they aged?
Just of Orange girl - I raised her for a few months before she went to her home. She is a darker sable (was from birth). Occasionally I get photo updates of her in her new home, but not too often. This is 5 weeks (I think) vs 7 weeks. I've got others on my phone but I can't access them at the moment. She did get lighter briefly before getting dark again.

Reactions: Shadow Shep

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just of Orange girl - I raised her for a few months before she went to her home. She is a darker sable (was from birth). Occasionally I get photo updates of her in her new home, but not too often. This is 5 weeks (I think) vs 7 weeks. I've got others on my phone but I can't access them at the moment. She did get lighter briefly before getting dark again.
View attachment 560647 View attachment 560648
Thanks for sharing! I really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
mom looks black and tan? dad is med-dark sable.. that’s the darkest i’d expect any of these puppies will turn out.

edit: nevermind, thought that was OP’s pups parents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts