German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to train my male to let other dogs be around my new female puppy? He is really protective, he gets very agitated and aggressive when other dogs start sniffing her all over and try to play with her. Then we had that scary almost-fight last night with the puppy and a strange dog at our house and after that he wouldn't let anyone but me, my boyfriend, and our roommates near her. He snapped at my neighbor when he tried to pet her, and that was really out of character for him.

Today he seemed back to normal, he was okay with people playing and touching her, but I haven't tried letting another dog near her yet. Why would he be getting so upset over dogs playing with her? Do you have any suggestions on how I should have my dogs meet another dog so he is comfortable?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do both dogs get separate one-on-one time with you and the bf?
If not, then you really need to separate them for awhile and focus on each one. Your male sounds like he might be resource guarding (if he has never reacted to other dogs this way before).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do both dogs get separate one-on-one time with you and the bf?
If not, then you really need to separate them for awhile and focus on each one. Your male sounds like he might be resource guarding (if he has never reacted to other dogs this way before).
They do, Eko might not be getting as much from me because Xena is working on her separation anxiety training but I set time aside for Eko and I to hang out. Xena doesn't really want anything to do with anyone other than me, Eko gets attention from everyone else, too. He's been like this ever since we got her, but never towards people until last night, after the fight he was very upset and sniffing her all over and sitting in front of her. He does kind of treat her as his, he "herds" her, keeps her in the rooms we are in and plays with her all the time. The only time she can't be anywhere near him is when he is being fed, animals have to be several feet from him during mealtimes or he will snap. Toys and bones are fine, he really does like to share with her. He's always bringing her toys and just holding them over her head while she plays with it.

Eko is good with dogs as long as they don't try to dominate him, it's been like that ever since we've had him. If the dogs are not bouncing off the walls and calm they can be around Xena it's just when they get rough that he gets upset.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, when we get up to go out, he constantly bites her on the back of the neck and pushes her back so he is out the door first. Is he just trying to show her he is in charge?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts