German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy of 14 weeks supposedly got his vaccination at the breeder at 8 weeks of age. I don't totally trust him as he was mistreating puppies and cutting corners.

Anyways, so my vet recommends an additional vaccination and not consider the first vaccination (at the breeder). They wrote on the record that my puppy got only two vaccines (one at 10 weeks and other at 14) and asked me to come back after two more weeks for the third vaccine. Is it okay if my pup gets additional round of vaccines?

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
This is what happened to us, vet didn’t trust that the first vaccine was properly done, so we had one more. Turns put that even the extra one didn’t make him immune to Parvo, because we had to do an additional, separate vaccine for that.
If you do not want to overvaccinate, have titers done and only vaccinate for what he needs.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I would do it, assuming that you are talking about the "core" puppy shots (DA2PP). The AAHA (gold-standard, evidence-based) guidelines say that regardless when you start, you should continue boostering core puppy vaccines at the 2-4 week interval until they're 16 weeks old.

https://www.aaha.org/aaha-guidelines/vaccination-canine-configuration/vaccination-canine/

So your pup probably ought to get one more in 2 weeks under that very widely followed protocol. (Note: this is the most carefully studied vaccine recommendation protocol developed by a panel of highly respected experts based on science -- and it's constantly updated as they learn more. It's not one person's untested theory or someone's blog opinion.)

When there's sketchy early history, it's just an easy decision to give them long-term protection. Giving an extra booster normally won't hurt unless they're prone to weird, super-rare vaccine reactions. The fact that your pup hasn't had a reaction yet makes me think it's unlikely. Weigh the rarity of that kind of reaction against parvo and distemper (which aren't all that rare in many places) and it's a pretty easy risk-reward calculation IMHO.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I would vaccinate again. My male had zero immunity to distemper at 1 yr old. We don't know why but there is documentation suggesting the mothers immunity can last longer than previously thought. Or if the mother was not immunized properly then the puppies don't have as strong of immunity.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Magwart has it and yes, parvo vacs are seperate. Additionally, do not take your pup to "dog frequented" areas until 10 to 14 days after the last shot (esp. parvo.) Sometimes people think that the dog is fine to go out and about right after the shot. It isn't.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I would wait closer to 4 weeks, than just 2, so the pup is over 16 weeks, otherwise, yes, do the last booster if you don't want to run titers.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes, there are far too many vaccines! I only do a second set, parvo and distemper only individually given 2 weeks apart, (1st done at the breeder) after 16 weeks of age, preferably after 20 weeks. BUT you must protect your pup until then. No going to dog parks, etc. The ONLY reason they give 3 sets of vaccines is because they don't know when the Mother's immunity wears off! You can be pretty sure by 16-20 weeks it's worn off and the pup's vaccines will take.

·
Registered
10,924 Posts
Most dogs are over-vaccinated. Deja is 6 years old and only has had her puppy shots. At 5 she still had strong titers for Parvo and Disptemper. I will titer her in a few years again. I do titer her for Rabies every year. A good titer and certificate from the vet is recognized by the county for her licensing. Only when she will bite a person, she will need to be quarantined. But for me that risk is lower than the side effects for Rabies vaccinations (I am sure I lost a dog to Rabies vaccinosis). She is never out of my sight and doesn't set foot in dog parks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most dogs are over-vaccinated. Deja is 6 years old and only has had her puppy shots. At 5 she still had strong titers for Parvo and Disptemper. I will titer her in a few years again. I do titer her for Rabies every year. A good titer and certificate from the vet is recognized by the county for her licensing. Only when she will bite a person, she will need to be quarantined. But for me that risk is lower than the side effects for Rabies vaccinations (I am sure I lost a dog to Rabies vaccinosis). She is never out of my sight and doesn't set foot in dog parks.
I try to minimize doctor visit for me and my pets as much as possible. Most of the time docs give symptoms relief and our body cures itself; however, if condition persists longer than 3 days then you may need medications. Anyways, I will get him vaccinated one more time because puppies are weak and most of the time it's too late.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would do it. The “breeder” I got my boy from claimed he had his first two set of shots, at nine months old he contracted parvo and almost died. After a week of extreme worry, back and forth to the vet, an emergency surgery and $1700 later thank goodness he’s still around.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You should absolutely do what you feel comfortable with. But I have to comment on one thing you said. "because puppies are weak" That is exactly why you don't want to overtax an undeveloped immune system of a puppy. I know it's a balancing act, you want them protected but you also don't want to damage a young immune system that could spell a lifetime of misery for your dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts