German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such thing as a legit reason to rehome a dog? I recently rehomed a stray I found running around on the street/in a park. I have a feeling I either saw him get dumped or saw someone checking his tags (he had none) and leaving. He brought out the worst in my husky. Maybe because he was a puppy and annoyed my husky. I dunno. I met his foster parents. Seemed like amazing people when it came to pets. I did a house check, a vet reference and found an adoption agency to neuter and up to date him on shots.

But I cried when I left him. I worry he may not find a home. I will keep in touch with his fosters. I felt I couldn't keep him due to space issues, moving and the unhappiness of my husky...are these legit reasons to rehome a puppy?

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Well firstly the puppy was not yours that you went out and chose, for instance, from a shelter, so I would not feel guilty for placing him in rescue.
You were ill-prepared to care for him but you made the best of the situation temporarily, you are to be commended!

Yes I believe there are legit reasons to rehome.
We recently had to give up one of our dogs we adopted for our own pet, she developed a problem spine (Basset) and the other dogs kept hurting her. She, in turn, was grouchy and not feeling well, and we chose a home for her where she'd not be jumped on by other dogs, or jostled about - we chose a home where she'd be the only dog.
It was heart wrenching - I love that girl and still miss her - but I also am not vain enough to think I am the only one that can provide a loving home to her, and there were others (well, another anyway) who could love her to pieces and actually provide a better home in that there's no other dogs there.
Our own dogs who played with her from the time we got her, did not understand why she was cranky and in fact we did not know right away, until her back went "out" and she was in severe pain and had to be on crate rest for a few weeks.

Anyway - it was better all around, she's in a wonderful caring home and we don't have to constantly worry about her being injured and snappy/cranky with the other dogs.
IMO, if you suddenly start having conflicts you cannot resolve within your own existing pack - that is, you didn't run get a new dog (and again, you didn't adopt that puppy, he was an emergency) and suddenly your dogs didn't get along, it is often best to look for a placement for one of the dogs. In our case, it was better to place Savvy than to try to rehome the others (some 6 of them) who were playing and bumping her accidentally, causing pain. She used to play right alongside them so they just didn't understand :(

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Yes. There are many legitimate reasons.

1) Issues with current dogs (fighting, dog aggression)
2) Medical reasons - Perhaps the person has developed a medical condition and can no longer provide for the dog
3) Economic reasons - Loss of job, home

You did the right thing by this puppy. This was not a dog you chose to bring into your home and then decided to dump because you are moving. This is a dog you found because someone else was irresponsible. You found him a safe place that will find him HIS own home. You have nothing to feel guilty or bad about and it's normal to feel sad when a foster leaves.

Thank you for helping this puppy. :hugs:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I rehomed a dog. She was an American Eskimo that we rescued from a high kill shelter. They told us she was very sweet, didn't seem to have issues with other dogs, etc. From the time we got Izzy home it was obvious she was not a good match. She hated our other 2 dogs, and was very tense with all the noise and bustle of the house. My ex-husband came over one day to get the kids, and said he had heard I was getting rid of Izzy (I actually had no plans to do so), and that she was the best dog I had and he was taking her. I almost told him I had no plans to get rid of her, but instead I kept my mouth shut and he took her. She adored him, and he lived alone with his girlfriend in a quiet house with no other pets.

I think you did the right thing, and it sounds like you were careful in finding a good foster home for the puppy.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yes there are tons of legit reasons for rehoming a dog. I think it's silly to say that a dog HAS to stay somewhere it is miserable and is a bad fit just because. Also if someone cannot afford proper care any longer and/or has to move where a dog is not allowed, the dog should be rehomed. Obviously that situation is not ideal but no one can predict the future. I've rehomed animals and I've adopted and kept animals that were rehomed to me. Everyone is healthy and happy, life goes on.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
My "ideals" are probably a little different than most people, and many people are actually shocked when I state them...
But to sum up as easily as I can, feeling the way that I do about such topics and situations......"Whatever is best for the (individuals involved) be it man or beast."

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Some reasons people rehome sound weird to me, these issues can be fixed, but whatever. Some I honestly understand.

At the end of the day to me it doesn't matter because there's nothing worse than an unwanted dog who becomes a burden.

Came back to add: the above statement meaning for the dog who is unwanted...thought to some it would appear I meant the owner.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I see and hear tons of excuses for giving up pets. Moving, can't take. Having a baby (biggie). Dog is too small/big/clumsy/hairy/whatever.

Then there's people who care about their pets and their well being and realize they cannot provide the kind of environment this pet needs.
IMO, having a baby does not wash - especially those who wait until mo. 9 to rehome.
Or moving - "must be gone by tonight". Those things are ridiculous yet I see it all the time and hear about it when people contact us to dump their dogs :(

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to rehome. I've had to do it. Sometimes it turns out that a dog is not a good match for the home it is in, for whatever reason, and through no fault of anyone. If it's in the dog's best interest to find another home, then by all means, rehome.

I do get angry when I see people rehoming pets for stupid reasons like "we're moving", or "I'm pregnant" or "I don't have time", but still, if the owners are the type that see the dog as a burden or a throwaway commodity, I'd rather they not have the dog anyway. Problem is, I know they're going to go out and get another as soon as the first one is gone. :(

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would love to rehome my son's cat. He pees all over the place and it disgusts me. But for some reason no one else seems to want him once I tell them why I am trying to rehome him. :)

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I would love to rehome my son's cat. He pees all over the place and it disgusts me. But for some reason no one else seems to want him once I tell them why I am trying to rehome him. :)
We end up with a few "long term" fosters that I didn't choose or want to adopt but they are here because nobody else wants them. They aren't bad dogs. Just have either a health issue or a behavioral issue (not biting) or just they are very "plain".
People on the adopting end want a perfect, "cute" dog, so...here these sit.
:(

·
Registered
431 Posts
That is sad, msvette. My dog has a heart of gold but has some chronic health problems.

I will have to post a picture of our cat Toby sometime. He is truly one of the ugliest animals ever. When I last took him to the vet there was a new tech, and when we opened his crate she had the most shocked look on her face.

But on the bright side my 19-year-old son adores him, and has learned to put puppy pads on the floor in the places Toby likes to urinate.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I always wanted to go to the pound and pick out the homeliest cat there. But then I became allergic to them :(

I do think it's sad when people can't see beyond the sometimes "rough" or "damaged" exterior and see the hearts of gold underneath. Kudos to those who do :)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
zeeva you did a great service to that pup saving him from being hit,put in a kill shelter and you were careful where he went.We rescued a Golden ,lucky hated him and thankfully we were able to get him into a rescue. The golden staying here wouldnt have been fair to him or Lucky. I feel I owe my older dogs a home they can relax in. What you did for your husky in my mind was the right thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think there are plenty of legit reasons to rehome. I've done it before, while it was hard, it was best for the dog. Right now we are seriously trying to evaluate if we are the right home for our Corgi. I took him in because I couldn't knowingly put him back in the abusive situation. Though we've made a TON of progress, kids an men are still a stresser for him. The more active my daughter gets the more withdrawn and stressed he becomes. I love this dog more than anything but I don't know if this is fair to him.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
There are definitely legitimate reasons to rehome, the major one being if the animal would be happier and have a higher quality of life elsewhere. One of my friends rehomed her dog recently. This was her first dog (out of 3) and though she'd had the dog for years, the dog was just not doing well with the other two dogs. This dog was stressed, unhappy, had anxiety issues, and because my friend had 3 of them she did not have the extra time to devote to working around it. She found a very loving new owner, did a trial run (where the dog spent a month there), and finally made the decision to rehome. The alternative would have been to rehome both of her other dogs.

It's situations like that where it's important not to judge.

Yes, I do get frustrated when people try to rehome or dump their pet in a shelter because they didn't realize owning an animal would be work. I do dislike seeing "moving, have to get rid of my pet" ads on craigslist. But there are also a lot of valid reasons to rehome and people should never feel guilty for doing the right thing for their pet.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My standard for rehoming is alot lower. If there isn't a good fit between dog and human rehoming should be considered. Every dog, and every dog owner deserves to have that deep bond that you can have with a canine companion. If you're not feeling it after giving it serious tries, then it may be best for both parties to let the dog move onto a different human who may click better.

Then there are the standard rehoming issues. Like I said earlier, if you feel like you "want" to give up your pet, it's probably best for both of you that you do. Keeping a pet you don't want just makes you resentful of the pet. Pets can feel that from you, and likely won't be happy at home either.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I rehomed my Pomeranian last year, I honestly didn't think I'd find a home for him. I put up a Craiglist ad (I know, I know) and I was bluntly honest about him so much that my husband laughed at me. I went 5 years of putting a makeshift diaper on him because he lifted his leg on EVERYTHING (even me). I tried everything with him as far as medical & training went (besides the fact we have no real trainers in this area). Then the last year he started snapping at people who came to our house. It got to the point that nobody liked him anymore because he smelled like pee, so he was always been shoved to the side. He wasn't been abused, he was just being ignored and that broke my heart. We couldn't take him with us anywhere unless we brought his diaper with.
A woman called me and she had just lost her Pom... she took him and even paid me the $50 rehoming fee I asked for. She still sends me pics of him every few months :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
teehee...i have a cat that poos outside the litter box 2 times a day. but he is my cuddle bug and the chillest cat i know. sometimes it's the strange things that pets do or the goofy way they look that make them unique and unbearable to part with :)

glad you're honest about your cat!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am in the process of rehoming my kitties. I developed an allergy. :(

Also, when I was younger, we adopted a puppy that we were told would probably never reach 30 lbs....it grew into an 80lb dog that we were just not equipped to handle.

I think what's important is finding a good home if the need arises.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts