German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we got our 6 month old puppy, Chloe, about a week ago. She is doing great. We have her on the bones and raw foods diet, have her on routine, and she is never in the house alone for long, as between my husband, my brother, and I, there is always someone home. She even sees her crate in my bedroom as her happy place to go to if she wants somewhere to relax. Heck, with the patience of my husband and I, she does not make a fuss out of going into her crate for the night.

However, the only frustration out of having a puppy around that I have right now is all the backlash I am getting for how we are choosing to raise her. A couple of my friends have vastly different ideas as to how to feed her. They think that by letting her have raw meat, she is going to die of salmonella. Others insist that I am stupid for letting her have bones, as she will choke and die, or the bones will puncture her throat.

Then, there's the crate training. We were so happy that she not only is calm and quiet when we put her "to bed" for the night that she also goes there while the crate is open that I shared this with my friends and family. Half were impressed, the other half were shocked that I crate her. One person suggested that crating puppies causes or worsens separation anxiety and suggested that if I really want to keep her out of trouble during the night, I should lock her in the laundry room. My brother-in-law was worse. He suggested that I am neglecting my puppy by crating her and asked "What is the point of having a dog if you put it in a box?"

We are trying to do the best thing for our first puppy as a family, but according to the people we care about, we are horrible, horrible puppy parents. Just had to see if I was really completely wrong about this...as my husband put it, "I don't want to end up causing our puppy to be one of those dogs you see on 'The Dog Whisperer."

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track to me.......we too, picked up our puppy at 6 months old and began crate training her...at around 12 months, I began to allow her free roam while at work most of the time but still crate her at night . The crate has been a savior to me and would never think of having a dog without the crate ever again.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Somebody is always going to have an opinion on what you do with your dogs, your kids, and your money. And your vote. :D

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The crate becomes their cave, their own private space .... especially if you can cover it. It makes them feel secure. Your dog already likes it so you are way ahead on that issue. As to feeding, you will find many people here who feed raw with great results. I feed kibble but that's only because I am lazy and because I could never bring my wife to consider feeding human food (go figure) to a dog. Ya, I know, there's no accounting for 'logic'.
Since your dog is still growing, I assume she will have a 42" or 48" crate. Good luck. You came to the right place to get tons of 'advice' that you can consider or ignore.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
You are doing a good job raising your puppy.

I got my GSD when he was 11 weeks old and immediately started crate training, he is almost 2 years old now and he loves his crate and will lay in it even when the door is wide open. I cannot fully trust him yet to be out of his crate when I am not home because he has ripped up my carpet and ate some of my wall when he was younger but we are slowly working on him being free all of the time now. At night his crate is in my room and his crate door is open. Crates are great for puppies, puppies get into everything and they can get seriously hurt if they are not being watched, if you can not watch your puppy then you can put him/her in his/her crate.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
And in a couple of years time you have a well rounded, social, well behaved, confident dog, folks will ask you how you did it.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
And in a couple of years time you have a well rounded, social, well behaved, confident dog, folks will ask you how you did it.
:thumbup: hahaha, exactly!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I expected people to say, "Oh well, that is fine and dandy, but I think this way is better..." but I didn't quite expect them to say "You HORRIBLE pet owner! You're harming your dog! You NEGLECT her?! What's wrong with you?" I guess I was just caught off-guard since these people are people I know and spend a decent amount of time with...

Good hear we're doing well! So far, I've been basing my ideas of how to raise Chloe off of books, website articles, and advice from the breeder...oh and my previous experience. This is my husband's first dog ever, so he is even more worried about sticking to the rules and boundaries and routine we have now.

I guess I just have to take everything with a grain of salt. You guys are right, there is an opinion to EVERYTHING! Goodness knows what we'll do when we have kids...there are even MORE opinions on how to raise a child...yeesh...

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
WOW from what i just read you are doing everything perfect so keep up the good work. When the other people raise their puppies and they become dogs they would have wished they did what you did.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
That about sums it all up. :D

IN MY OPINION...you are doing exactly what I would do.
Keep up the good work. You are doing the right thing for your dog.

Just thank your friends for their concerns and keep doing what you are doing. The best proof of being 'right' is when you raise a clearly happy and healthy dog.

And hopefully you'll be educating and opening some closed minds! :wub:

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
Then, there's the crate training. We were so happy that she not only is calm and quiet when we put her "to bed" for the night that she also goes there while the crate is open that I shared this with my friends and family. Half were impressed, the other half were shocked that I crate her. One person suggested that crating puppies causes or worsens separation anxiety and suggested that if I really want to keep her out of trouble during the night, I should lock her in the laundry room. My brother-in-law was worse. He suggested that I am neglecting my puppy by crating her and asked "What is the point of having a dog if you put it in a box?"
Well, I put my dogs in boxes at night too, and I keep the boxes in my bedroom. :D That way they're with me all night, they settle down and sleep rather than roam around the house or get into anything, and they don't get me up before I'm ready to get up in the morning - wonderful on non-work days when I want to sleep in! How would the laundry room (if I had one!) be better than that?

As far as crates causing separation anxiety, that would be news to the 4 dogs I've crate trained - not a single one of them has had separation anxiety. We also have a chainlink pen in the garage where they go when we leave the house, and they run out there willingly, and sit and wait for their biscuit before I close the door. I think the fact that she goes into her crate during the day voluntarily for naps shows that you've done a good job and she views the crate as her special place in the house to chill. That's how my dogs are too, often they're already in there when I go to close the crate doors at night, and if not, I just say "go to bed" and they run in and lay down. Keefer will nap in his, he likes to hang out there when I'm on my Lifecycle in the bedroom because Halo won't pester him to play, and he's comfy and cozy while still keeping me in view, which is apparently his mission in life, lol!

It sucks that so many people are imposing their incorrect and ignorant opinions on you, but please try not to let it bother you. The best revenge against those twits is that YOU are right! If they continue to harangue you, come up with some bland statement to end the discussion and then refuse to argue with them. Something like "thanks for your opinion, but everything is just fine", delivered with a smile. And then walk away or change the subject.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Your doing a fine job. Later on when your friends see how well behaved your dog is they will change their minds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts