German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Grimm's disgustification, I bought a jumbo whopper collossal frozen green tripe block. (Looks like a frozen lasagna out of a horror film)
I chop off a small chunk before each mealtime, then thaw it out in his bowl. I noticed as it thaws, that you can really see the grass in it. It seems mostly grass and a bit of muscle.. but, that's just how it looks to me.

Because of the vegetation there, the grass-- would that tend to set off an allergic dog's allergies, or, as in the case of raw local honey usage, tend to almost innocculate against local grass allergies?

Are the enzymes supposed to help a dog digest his food better?

Are the bacteria too, uh, fecal-y, and might cause problems for a dog who has had bacterial overgrowth in the past?

Grimm loves the stuff. I am happy to add a small chunk the size of a chicken mcnugget to each meal for him. Is that too much, or too often?

Sorry for all the noob questions!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michelle.
I really appreciate the info! Can a GSD tummy hold 2 lbs at one time? I ask, as I need to gradually increase the size of Grimm's meals.. he is much too thin on raw.

I am so glad your dog that had SIBO is doing great on raw! To be honest, Grimm has never had such good poops as on raw.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Grimm is getting 3 lbs per day... each meal is about 680 gramms? He gets fed twice. (It was 2 mals of just 520 gramms before.. he is too thin, so I am increasing it to the 680 gramms twice a day)

I like adding fat idea, but Grimm may (or may not) be fat-sensitive with his pancreas. I just a few days ago upped from 2 salmon oil caps to 3... he is getting itchy on the chicken, so the omega 3 and 6 rations were out of whack without enough salmon oil.

I am not just a newbie.. I am THE newbie!!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thnks Michelle. I don't know re the chicken. I HOPE it is not chicken in general that is causing the itching. Possibly it is that the chicken is very high in omegas that tend to cause inflammation.. and it needs to maybe be balanced with the fish oil omegas, and I just started that recently?

Anyway, I may not be able to keep Grimm on raw at all if chicken itself is the trigger. Pork is not an option here, beef is wildly expensive, and turkey bones-- the ones available here-- are collossal, rockhard, constipating, TOUGH-- and not reliably available. I could do raw without chicken if I had a different income.

Oh, man.. Please pray that it is just the omega balance being off, and not that the chix itself is a trigger! I just upped the salmon oil to 3 capsules a day from 2. Hopefully this will help balance those omegas out and STOP the itching. (it is not much itching, just some)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.