German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and read the threads here about colors and coats and just when I think I understand I realized I missed something and everything I thought I just read was really something else. Is there a "for dummies" site or thread that maybe has pics? Something like, "this is a black and tan" "this is a blanket back" etc and then maybe bullet points under each of the basic requirements of each?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
That's an excellent article - thanks for posting it.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
2,967 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
The breed we love comes in so many varieties, that is what I love about it! Kinda like Labs, black , yellow and chocolate LOL! However no guessing there.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question...is there something similar that shows the pattern types (ie blanket back, saddle back, etc so I can compare visually those to the ones on that site and understand better? Did I mention I am the person for whom those "... for Dummies" books are written?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I just think that solid black, black sable, red sable and bi-color are absolutely stunning. I would love to have one of each.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Another question...is there something similar that shows the pattern types (ie blanket back, saddle back, etc so I can compare visually those to the ones on that site and understand better? Did I mention I am the person for whom those "... for Dummies" books are written?
Go to the links:

I think the Linda Shaw site is the most technical and it's my first go to.
For pictures and some of the mroe bizarre colors I like these 2 sites...
4GSD - Coat Colours

GSD Patterns, Colors, Coat Lengths & More
This is a great site to compare changes over time in AKC and German lines, lots of pictures too...

past to present (click that link)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found photos of dogs that were like twins to one of our long since gone dogs on those sites...that was very informative. I also now think Old Bitch is a black and creme/silver...I'd never thought about my OWN dogs...just wanted to understand (and get a mental image when I am reading) what people meant in various posts... very interesting! Now I think I will look again and try to figure out the Beast (who I suspect is Beast Coated and Colored and thus will not appear on the sites).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts