German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Vasectomy!
There is a FB page called Ovary Sparing Spay and Vasectomy Info Group
its healthy and better alternatives to traditional spay and neuter.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
My vet said the zinc procedure is very, very painful -- bad enough she has serious ethical concerns with anyone doing it without anesthesia. She works with lots of rescues and would be all for anything making spay/neuter easier on the dog - this procedure just isn't it.

There's (at least) two ways of doing a castration neuter: they can remove the scrotum, leaving nothing so it heals smooth, or they can leave an empty scrotum, which then shrinks up over time to almost nothing. The latter has become much more common in shelter/rescue because it heals fast with few complications. The first time I saw it done, though, I thought they'd forgotten to neuter the dog as the scrotal sack was still hanging down.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
It's called "Zeutering". I would prefer conventional neutering by surgery. At least we know the pros and cons already. It seems to be a brutal procedure to me.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Vasectomy!
There is a FB page called Ovary Sparing Spay and Vasectomy Info Group
its healthy and better alternatives to traditional spay and neuter.
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've been very happy getting my boys vasectomies!!!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
:thumbup: Just curious why you chose vasectomies over leaving them intact?
I'm a big believer that hormones matter ... and I get vasectomies "Just in case" one of the boys would get out and mate with a bitch in heat ... it's never happened, but would rather be sure no puppies would be the result of such an accident.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts