German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ziva eats grass a lot. Grazes like a cow. It doesn't usually make her vomit though. I have noticed she does it more when she hasn't eaten before going out on our off leash walks but she won't usually eat before we go out. She is NOT food motivated at all.

Backround: She has a ton of food sensitivities. Basically she can have beef, lamb, goat and duck (though I think duck is becoming an issue as well).
We have fed home cooked and raw. Currently RAW.

She primarily gets beef. Since RMB beef is difficult (she's won't touch necks or ribs either) I feed Kal bone meal 1 tsp per lb. for calcium daily. She gets Dr. Becker's vitamin blend that I make containing: Iron, manganese, zinc, iodine(kelp), vitamin E, taurine and sea salt daily. She gets algae based Omega-3's (Ovega-3 as she can't have any fish including fish oils). Hemp oil (organic) because her diet is mostly ruminant. 5% beef or lamb liver. 5% other organ (rotate beef/lamb goat spleen, kidney, pancreas) eggs(lightly cooked) couple times a week. Raw goats milk most days. She also gets Springtime Joint health daily. Treats are LID treats known to tolerate and Merrick's dehydrated beef or lamb lung IE: doggy crack :)
She was getting duck but recently has seemingly developed a sensitivity to duck (vomiting undigested bone, increased itching, looser stool). We are currently doing an 8 week elimination of duck. :frown2: because she loves duck necks and feet.
She is not a fan of green tripe but at times can get her to eat a bit. She is an extremely picky eater.

Is there something missing causing her to eat grass? Is she just hungry? Does she just like it? Like I said she won't eat until after she has exercised. Not even treats usually. I wouldn't care so much about the grass eating but after two rounds of hookworm I wish she wouldn't ingest grass on a daily basis. And, yes her last fecal (April) was negative for parasites but she continues to eat grass so how long that will last???

Thanks for reading her diary.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
This article from Purdue Unversity Vet Dept. explains when to worry and when not to:
https://www.vet.purdue.edu/vth/sacp/documents/whydogseatgrass.pdf

My first thought would be that since it doesn't upset her tummy and she doesn't have any of the symptoms discussed in the article, is to just let her enjoy it. For your concern about the hookworm and other parasites, if you have her on a monthly heartworm preventative, that usually provides protection. From reading her food diary, she isn't given any fresh greens, perhaps the addition of some lettuce or other greens (my friend's collie loved it and was always given some chopped lettuce in his food) may help to curb it a bit.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I never owned a dog that did not eat greens outside. There is some kind of tree near one dog park that all the dogs strip the leaves and eat. Nobody seems to know what kind of tree it is. We like to joke that they are meeting to do a salad for lunch.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This article from Purdue Unversity Vet Dept. explains when to worry and when not to:
https://www.vet.purdue.edu/vth/sacp/documents/whydogseatgrass.pdf

My first thought would be that since it doesn't upset her tummy and she doesn't have any of the symptoms discussed in the article, is to just let her enjoy it. For your concern about the hookworm and other parasites, if you have her on a monthly heartworm preventative, that usually provides protection. From reading her food diary, she isn't given any fresh greens, perhaps the addition of some lettuce or other greens (my friend's collie loved it and was always given some chopped lettuce in his food) may help to curb it a bit.
I will give that article a read. She was and is on monthly heartworm preventative (heartgard plus) and she still picked up hooks. Vet said it's not uncommon to still get them due to the life cycle of the hooks and when heartworm meds are given in that cycle.

She doesn't like lettuce or green beans. I was pretty surprised last week when she wanted my cooked carrots off my dinner plate. I think it was only because they were cooked with the corned beef. I split them with her :)

I never owned a dog that did not eat greens outside. There is some kind of tree near one dog park that all the dogs strip the leaves and eat. Nobody seems to know what kind of tree it is. We like to joke that they are meeting to do a salad for lunch.
:laugh2: Hahaha I love it!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Is there anything other then grass out there? Last year I thought mine were eating grass but it turned out to be mulberries. This year it's the same thing, they love those mulberries. From far away it still looks like they are eating grass.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anything other then grass out there? Last year I thought mine were eating grass but it turned out to be mulberries. This year it's the same thing, they love those mulberries. From far away it still looks like they are eating grass.
Nope it's grass and sometimes goose poop (I don't let her eat goose poop if I see her going for it). It's not just in our yard. We go for off leash walks everyday to a couple different locations. She'll just stop and start grazing on the grass. Run along and grab some tall grass to snack on.

I've never had a dog that wasn't feeling well eat grass like she does. So I was thinking maybe she was missing something in her diet. Seem from the article Mary Beth linked some dogs just like to eat grass.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I used to boil up a batch of kale (cut the stalk off at the leaf), swiss chard, spinach, parsley, dandelion leaves, and some other big leafy green (can't remember what it's called...lol)...once it was all cooked through, let cool and ran through the food processor. Turned into mush. Then I would throw a couple spoonfuls in the bowl.

I used a nominal amount of water to cook down the veg so I could use it all in the veggie slurry (for the cooked out nutrients)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I used to boil up a batch of kale (cut the stalk off at the leaf), swiss chard, spinach, parsley, dandelion leaves, and some other big leafy green (can't remember what it's called...lol)...once it was all cooked through, let cool and ran through the food processor. Turned into mush. Then I would throw a couple spoonfuls in the bowl.

I used a nominal amount of water to cook down the veg so I could use it all in the veggie slurry (for the cooked out nutrients)
My oldest won't eat kale unless I add some garlic--can you say spoiled princess?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
My oldest won't eat kale unless I add some garlic--can you say spoiled princess?

I don't blame her. I wouldn't eat kale either:sick:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha! I'm learning to be a fan of Kale myself :).

I tried giving Ziva Springtime's spirulina tabs. She wouldn't touch them. I even crushed one up and tried to hide it in her food. Nope, she wasn't having any of it. *sigh*
I am going to try to get some greens in her diet.

Ziva is such a picky, fussy eater...well except for grass, lol! Took me months to get her to eat organ meat raw.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Haha! I'm learning to be a fan of Kale myself :).

I tried giving Ziva Springtime's spirulina tabs. She wouldn't touch them. I even crushed one up and tried to hide it in her food. Nope, she wasn't having any of it. *sigh*
I am going to try to get some greens in her diet.

Ziva is such a picky, fussy eater...well except for grass, lol! Took me months to get her to eat organ meat raw.
I give mine that Spirulina and they eat it like its a treat. They have powdered Spirulina that you can try.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
The same company that makes digest all for dogs also has Spirulina.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts