German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
So I’m getting a male GSP and fell in love with the runt. I know he’s the smallest right now but was curious on if he will always be smaller than the others? His parents are fairly big. Pictures will be posted below. Male is the lighter colored one and the female is the darker.
BB0D967F-F033-4F9A-89AB-C9C3763814F9.jpeg

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
There is really no way of knowing that. I've seen runts stay small and other get large. I've seen the largest puppy be the smallest adult.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
No way to know for sure but in my own experience the runt catches up over time and often turns out to be the larger than the rest of the litter in adulthood.
That said please don't over feed trying to get the little guy to grow faster. Nature will handle that. Please don't let your male get fat like his sire. The sire in those pictures is at the very least 20 lbs overweight.

Pictures when you get him. We love puppy pictures.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
Traditionally runt was reserved for the pup that was significantly smaller and weaker often times due to being malnourished or results of an underlying health issue... they required extra monitoring and care in order to thrive and catch up, assuming they survived.

By that definition, every litter (and dare I say most) don’t actually have a runt.

The term however has evolved into simply identifying the smallest puppy as the runt, even if that pup happens to be the strongest and healthiest of the bunch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Runt has more chance to be smaller but could be average or even the largest in my experience. Agreed that the Father is significantly chunky....

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I would say the "runt" will generally be the same size as siblings. Breeders often do multiple day breeding's, sometimes over six days. So the "runt" could actually just be a coupe/few days younger that the others depending on when it "took".
Cool. I did not know that was possible.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Runt has more chance to be smaller but could be average or even the largest in my experience. Agreed that the Father is significantly chunky....
Idk if my guy was the runt but he was underweight significantly for his age until around 10 months and then he grew a ton now he’s 90lb and lean

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I had a long time breeder tell me this. It makes sense. Say after progesterone testing, my dog is ready for breeding at 13 days. So I do my first cover at 13. Skip a day and do another at 15 days. Skip a day and do a third cover at 17 days in. Some eggs may take on the first cover and some on the third. That would make them technically different ages. Just like you can have a female impregnated by more than one male in the same litter. They obviously didn't happen at the same time. It's interesting, but makes sense. It blew my mind when I heard it haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts