German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't think it's so much the chicken itself, as much as it is a grain allergy.
GSDs, in my observations, are fairly grain sensitive. Certainly not the only dog that is such, but I see it more frequently.

The allergy is not to the chicken, I don't think, but more to the fact that the chicken is more often than not grain-fed. After all, you are what you eat.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Most dog foods have grain fed everything unless it states so.
I won't feed my dog a chicken based food anymore because of the GMO corn and am using New Zealand Venison and New Zealand Lamb as the basis. There is a third variant with North American grain fed cattle but with the approval of GMO alfalafa....its only a matter of time. Then there are the hormones and antiobiotics pumped in the animals (US poultry has to be hormone free but the Chinese use hormones in chicken though allegedly not for export to us)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I will say from what I have seen that for my pup it was processed chicken in kibble. He was scratching like crazy, eye boogers and all. Switched him to grain-free TOTW Pacific Stream Puppy and nomore eye boogers and scratching has gone way down.

When i feed Raw chicken, he's fine. never had an issue.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
All poultry seems to give mine a problem. She's fine with grains, but chicken, duck, and turkey all seem to bring out the issues with her sensitive stomach.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when i hear about dog's allergic to chicken and turkey i wonder
if it's the actual bird they're allergic to or what's injected into
the bird.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i hear about dog's allergic to chicken and turkey i wonder
if it's the actual bird they're allergic to or what's injected into
the bird.
I have to agree with this.

I did read somewhere, where a person claimed to be able to give his dog "instant runs", by feeding supermarket raw chicken, versus local farm fresh chickens.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
My GSD couldn't eat chicken. One piece and she would throw it right back up. Like doggiedad said, maybe it's what's injected into the bird - but either way, chicken was a definitely no, no at my house.

That being said, my current dog - non-GSD has no problem whatsoever with chicken. Interesting question Anthony.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Agree.

Grain or grain free, chicken does not agree with my GSD at all. I used to be able to feed her Orijen that had some chicken in it, but no more. It didn't agree with my other GSD and I don't even bother trying with fosters.

All but 1 mix do well with it - she gets itchy, but I like to keep them all on the same food so no chicken unless I get a free bag and use it as treats for the ones who tolerate it.

ETA - cooked chicken also a loser here with her - I've never gotten organic because it seemed like a waste of money and potentially cruel experiment!

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Another one whose GSD doesn't do well on chicken. Hans had runny eyes and eye boogies on chicken.
I do agree with Doggiedad. It is probably everything they are treated with.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My GSD can't eat chicken either - gives her the runs - turkey is fine, though.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Was told and read online that its the chicken protein that both dogs and people can be allergic to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts