German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breeder tells me that it's about the pedigree as a whole, not the single dogs.

Sire is rated OFA Fair for HD and normal for ED. I asked for his pedigree and she told me to go to the OFA website b/c all his info was on there

She sent me the Dams pedigree, and while her website says the Dam has HD/ED normal, the pedigree says noch zugelassen....doesn't that mean mild dysplacia?

Trying to find a pup is going to drive me insane. I don't know who i can trust. I'm getting ready to drop a hefty sum on a puppy and i just want some type of confidence in what the breeder says

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
If you don't feel good about it, move on to another breeder. Much better to be patient (although I know it is hard).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't feel good about it, move on to another breeder. Much better to be patient (although I know it is hard).
I'm trying but it's so hard....lol. And i'm pretty sure this is a reputable breeder, but it's such a punch in the stomach when you think you've finally found one and when you drill down into it, it's not quite what it seems

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
You aren't necessarily being lied to.

OFA's definition of Fair (which is within "normal" limits:
Minor irregularities; the hip joint is wider than a good hip. The ball slips slightly out of the socket. The socket may also appear slightly shallow.
SV
A3: Noch Zugelassen. Still allowed for breeding, Fair hips.
Not saying this combination is good, bad, or otherwise - but neither of those are failing ratings. If you're unsure, ask the breeder some more questions. :)

·
Registered
32,395 Posts
Fair on one side does not bother me. But with it on both sides. I would look closer at both lines to see the history.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair on one side does not bother me. But with it on both sides. I would look closer at both lines to see the history.

I have another breeder who's Dam is FCI A 1/2.....what does that mean??? Is that good or mean it's borderline?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts

Agree. I would want to know about siblings, parents and grandparents of the two dogs and also about any offspring they may already have produced. An excellent with a pedigree history of fails is far worse than an a3 with a pedigree of normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree. I would want to know about siblings, parents and grandparents of the two dogs and also about any offspring they may already have produced. An excellent with a pedigree history of fails is far worse than an a3 with a pedigree of normal.

So for the particular dog in question, she has an a3, but according to pedigree, her mother and father, plus both sets of grandparents on both sides are a1 normal

the sir has OFA fair rating, but his parents have a1 normal, and 3 out of 4 grandparents have a1 normal with one having just normal

Since i'm relatively new to the game, how can dogs with such great pedigrees of a1 normal not have the same?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just because the dogs have normal OFA doesn’t mean the puppies will. My pups parents had OFA excellent for the sire and OFA A 1/2 for the dam

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Black , if you post where you are, maybe some folks can direct you to breeders they know . Takes a lot of the guess work out of the process.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Noch Zugelassen is passing in Germany, probably not here in US through OFA. Pedigrees are not listed through OFA, the breeder should provide you with that information.

Reactions: Sabis mom
1 - 13 of 13 Posts