German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the bond of an outdoor dog less/different than one that lives inside?

I feel more bonded with my dogs since they've moved in with me. If they're to go back outside, would our bond lessen/change?

Do you think that a dog that lives outside doesn't have as strong of a bond with it's owners as one that lives inside? Why?

I think of huskies that truly live in their climate. I've read that they'd end up fending for themselves outdoors during the warmer months. And I do think that the husky has evolved not to be as 'bonded' to it's owner as a GS, genetically, but is it because they're primarily outdoor dogs?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I believe that it depends.

My uncle had hunting dogs. He was their night and day and they were very bonded to him. However, every weekend he was out hunting with them. Unless the weather was dangerous, he was out, rain or shine. A few times a year he took off his regular job and went hunting for a few weeks. He was out with his dogs every evening making sure they had what they needed.

He eventually got out of hunting,he rehomed some of his younger dogs to those he hunted with, a few of the older ones to pet homes and kept the older older ones until they passed on.

His bond with them was extremely strong. As strong as with my own dogs that are inside.

I really think it depends on the person, the dog and the situation.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My Cocker was an outdoor dog by choice ... he detested being inside for more than a few minutes. I was a kid when I got him and we did EVERYTHING together ... we spent hours together. All my other dogs have been housedogs. So with this nominal experience with an outdoor dog I have to say that my bond with Andy was as strong as it has been with the indoor Hooligans!!!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think it depends.

An outdoor dog that only sees his owner when being fed? If that is the only human contact he has then he probably is very bonded to his owner even though it is unlikely to reciprocated.

An outdoor dog who's dog spends all day with his owner working together? There likely is a strong two way bond. My grandfather's GSD refused to be inside anything, house, shed or barn. He slept on a hay bale outside the house door but would fight like **** when you tried to put him up even in the worst weather. But every day through the end of the 70s, all through the 80s and the beginning of the 90s my grandfather was out tending his cows and doing choose at the crack of dawn with his GSD by his side. When grandpa was done for the day (around 9 pm) and went inside Levy would bed down on his hay bale and wait for the next day. That dog spent a lot more time with his owner than most house pets do and lived a long happy life well into his teens.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Both the dogs I had when I lived at my parents were outdoor dogs. Neither dog liked to be indoors for any lenght of time, but we made the point of spending as much time as possible with them; walks, ball in the yard, car rides, ect.

If all you did was feed them and water them with little to no other interraction, then yes, the bond wouldn't be there.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
imho, depends on how much time the owner spends with the outside dog. some breeds are more independent than other and would be fine being an outside dog, providing it was not neglected.

·
Registered
27,255 Posts
Depends on climate....I still believe a GSD is happiest with their pack...wherever that is. Certain breeds are independent and can be left to their own devices.
Digging is a given if it's hot or cold, so don't be surprised if you see dens/tunnels appear. Natural instinct with most outdoor dogs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think it makes a difference from a dog's perspective, as long as the dog gets the stimulation it needs. They are pack animals and will work within the rules of their leader (you) as long as their needs are being met...

However, it may make a difference for you in how connected you feel with the dogs. Studies show that humans experience less stress and live longer when they regularly pet dogs... so I guess the same would be for having them lay beside your feet.

I think this has to do more with the handler than the dog.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think the bond between my dogs and me is quite strong even though they are outdoor dogs. Mind you they are very attached to each other too because they spend a lot of time together when I'm at work.

When I have a day off or on the weekend they have free reign over the place they can come in and leave as they please and I usually spend a lot of time working outside and they come and "help" :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts