German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago, I took Shasta to petsmart for some socialization on top of yet another ride in the car so she's not so nervous or scared about it. We're making progress. She's 6 months old now and FINALLY willing to get in the car.

Anyway, we got out of the car and were walking towards the store when the black guy and his girlfriend/wife literally changed direction to intercept us. He made sure to keep his distance from her of about 5-6 feet. he's watching her and she's pretty much ignoring him after her initial "what are you doing there guy?" look. Then he suddenly says,"Is that a K9?" I resisted laughing.

I stopped walking in the middle of the parking lot and looked at him. Very seriously i said," If by K9 you mean a police trained dog, no. But if by K9 you mean a German Shepherd, then yes she is." His girlfriend/wife smacks him in the shoulder and says,"See i told you not all GERMAN SHEPHERDS are Police Dogs. They CAN BE family pets."

As he's glaring at her i take a couple steps closer to him.

"You want to say hi to her? I promise she doesnt bite... yet."

the guy jumped back a good three feet and his girlfriend/wife just starts cracking up. She's laughing so hard she cant breath. Like gut busting laughter. Absolutely hilarious.

Once she stopped laughing she came over to pet Shasta and he's still standing back there like he's either ready to jump between Shasta and his girlfriend/wife or run away to get help if Shasta did bite.

Told her so he couldnt hear that Shasta is very sweet and friendly and will probably never bite anyone in her life. Then loud enough for him to hear as he'd crept a little closer, that i planned to have her trained as a personal protection dog and she'd be suspicious of everyone she ever came across after that. Another 3 foot jump backwards and his girlfriend/wife bursts into giggles all over again. Once she explained to him i was messing with him he finally was wanting to pet Shasta. I told him he was lucky i hadn't had Zena with me as she's aggressive with men who approach me.

I was highly amused by the whole "is that a k9?" question. the thought that ran through my head was "is this guy seriously asking me this?" She's 6 months old! Cracked me up.

Is this the face of a police trained dog? i think this is the face of a hungry ready for dinner puppy. Better watch out!!! She'll go for your leg!!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some people crack me up. I mean i guess she's a good sized pup but she's my first actual PB GSD pup. Riley had more of a border collie build when he was 6 months old (we adopted him at 5 months old) and now he's got more GSD build but still! i had a good laugh.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
How funny, some people crack me up.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Is this the face of a police trained dog?
Most certainly could be. I have had many a sweet face bare their teeth and want to bite me. If you ever get motivated/curious, all you have to do is find a local Schutzhund club and have her evaluated???? Not every dog will be SchH3, but every trainer can learn and bond with their dog while having a really great time training.

Note: Police and SchH training are not the same thing, but for John Q. Citizen, SchH is a reasonable venue from which to explore similar scenarios that bring out desired characteristics in the GSD.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
some people crack me up. I mean i guess she's a good sized pup but she's my first actual PB GSD pup. Riley had more of a border collie build when he was 6 months old (we adopted him at 5 months old) and now he's got more GSD build but still! i had a good laugh.

Funny! Glad they both got a chuckle out of it all in the end. :)

As I take Ilda places with me I'm noting two basic responses to her, caution and bravado.

Some people just charge up to her like they own her, 'Oh that's a German Shepherd' they say authoritatively.

Then there was the poor guy who literally jumped over a little picket fence to get away from her. Little Ilda looked so puzzled, 'why doesn't he want to pet me?'. Took me awhile to coax him back on the sidewalk and we had a nice chat and Ilda got some attention which she loves.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I wonder if it's a culture thing or how they grew up, but I do notice that most black people give Wolfie and I a wide berth when we are walking. One was so petrified he couldn't move, and that was when Wolfie was 5 months old.

·
Registered
972 Posts
hahaha people are funny, i had some guy try teling me zero wasnt a real GSD because HE had never seen a white one. that there is only black and tan. i diddnt know what to say to the dope and i zero made a puffing sounds like (lets get outa here) so we walked away.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I wonder if it's a culture thing or how they grew up, but I do notice that most black people give Wolfie and I a wide berth when we are walking. One was so petrified he couldn't move, and that was when Wolfie was 5 months old.

LOL, that happens to Sigurd and I too. They seem to always walk the other direction or make sure there is a LOT of room between us. We were in Petsmart once and this big grown (black) male stopped in his tracks and looked like he was about to cry, his daughter was freaking out, and Sigurd was in a nice sit/stay not even paying attention to them. It must totally be a cultural thing.:crazy:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Someone once asked my husband if Roxy was a K9. He too was ready to laugh but said she was a K10: a new improved breed.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What a great thing that the guy stepped up to get more information. We all have to start learning somewhere. It was nice that you took the time to explain to him.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I have had lots of experiences like that too; most when Frag was MUCH younger. Black thug-looking teens literally screaming and running down the isle the other way in petsmart, an 8 year old having a panic attack looking at him, and many a grown man getting wide-eyed and backing away.

All while little Fraggle was sitting and high-fiving me.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I brought Titon to the off leash dog park yesterday (Bear Creek for those of you that know) and just about 25% of the park cleared their dogs and went to the small dog area. I thought this was strange. Titon is a sweetheart to other dogs and people. Made me sad to watch.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Love that story. LOL

When my previous GSD puppy (about 8-9 months old) and I were walking around a park that we would go to every night we were "confronted" by a group of hispanic young adults smoking pot. They looked like a bunch of gang kids or wannabe's. ;) Anyway, one of them came up to me and Alexi and asked if she was a K9, kind of sarcastically. I just looked at him and said yes....she was...since all dogs fall under the Canine catergory. :) The look on his face was too funny. Not sure if he was mad since I just evaded his question or if I made fun of him. But I just laughed about it and so did his buddies and then he smiled and said...."You got me on that one." So then I told him that she was just a family puppy and he was more than welcome to pet her. :D

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Once I was walking Dodger down the street and some guy walked toward me saw the dog and jaywalk pretty much running to get away from me. I thought that was odd then I smelled the weed smell from across the street. While the guy was walking away he kept looking back with this petrified look on his face. I thought it was kinda funny.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Once I was walking Dodger down the street and some guy walked toward me saw the dog and jaywalk pretty much running to get away from me. I thought that was odd then I smelled the weed smell from across the street. While the guy was walking away he kept looking back with this petrified look on his face. I thought it was kinda funny.
:confused: weed doesn't make you paranoid or nervous...

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Really don't mean to put a damper on the thread but why does the color of these people matter? Black guy with girlfriend/wife, etc.
Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine unless every person is identified by color.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I have had a number of people ask if Baron (90lb male GSD) is a "Police Dog".

We do some training in a group of GSD owners every saturday on a local college campus and there are many many college students there and a lot watch the sessions - a number of these kids have asked if these are police dogs or K9's so it isn't just a culture thing. Many folks seem to be a little intimidated by GSD's.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Really don't mean to put a damper on the thread but why does the color of these people matter? Black guy with girlfriend/wife, etc.
I don't think it really matters, it's just that it seems culturally (or whatever) that blacks seem to have a greater fear/different ideas about GSDs (more so than the average other coloured person in my PERSONAL accouters). No racism or singling out going on here...not sure why whenever "race" comes into a topic anywhere (not just this forum) we have to defend ourselves.

And to add a little colour, white people that I've encountered don't seem too bothered by my GSD. Sometimes I get asked if he's a police K9 by whites, but more in a "Wow, cool!" type of manner not a scared/shocked way. Back home, a couple of Native Americans thought Sigurd was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Hmm... my SO's Chinese sisters are in love with German Shepherds and think they are awesome.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
When talking in person I can see your point. Online though it sets the background and puts us "there". Online more details help understand what is going on and helps ward off confusion and misunderstanding.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.