German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I don't know if I should start taping Byrons' ears or if I'm jumping the gun. His right ear was up straight for about 3 weeks (kinda leaning but up), the left ear never made it fully up, then a few days ago I noticed the right ear started looking limp. I checked his mouth and sure enough, he's adult teeth are starting to cut thru. He was 4 months on 9/13/10. I don't want to wait too late in case I need to start taping. Please everyone, let me know what you think... Thanks!!!:help:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
:)absolutely not!!! at 4 mths your pup is teething and its common for the ears to go down during period just be patient they will go up!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Please help! I don't know if I should start taping Byrons' ears or if I'm jumping the gun. His right ear was up straight for about 3 weeks (kinda leaning but up), the left ear never made it fully up, then a few days ago I noticed the right ear started looking limp. I checked his mouth and sure enough, he's adult teeth are starting to cut thru. He was 4 months on 9/13/10. I don't want to wait too late in case I need to start taping. Please everyone, let me know what you think... Thanks!!!:help:
he is only 4 months old and teething. i wouldn't worry about taping. my guy had his ears going up and down until about 4 1/2 months. i started giving him a tablespoon of cottage cheese after his evening meal. it seemed to help and his ears started staying up. teething takes a lot out of our little guys. believe me they will stand up without having to do anything.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I've heard Solid Gold Sealmeal is helpful. You are ok at 4 months but if they aren't up by 5 months I would tape. While they still can go up after 5 months the chances go down the older they are. I've always put forms in at 5 months if they aren't up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.
I will give it a few weeks and see how those ears act!

·
Registered
32,474 Posts
Yeah, you have lift off. they go up and down for a while during teething. They should be just fine -- not time to worry.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
from what i've learned on this site, generally if their ears stand and then start flopping during teething, he'll be fine as his ears have already stood. Give him plenty to chew on which will not only help with the teething part but should also help strengthen the muscles that help hold those satellite dishes up! I think he'll be fine as his ears have already stood straight.

·
Registered
89 Posts
:)absolutely not!!! at 4 mths your pup is teething and its common for the ears to go down during period just be patient they will go up!
agreed - the teething period is definitely a weird stage where the ears go back down lol... i remember freaking out then as well

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These GSD ears are stressful! This is my first GSD and I will love him no matter what, he's an absolutely amazing dog. However, I would LOVE that signature GSD look :eek:)
He just started teething, not sure how long that usually takes but I guess I will give him a month to see what happens.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Cottage Cheese.... Why?

he is only 4 months old and teething. i wouldn't worry about taping. my guy had his ears going up and down until about 4 1/2 months. i started giving him a tablespoon of cottage cheese after his evening meal. it seemed to help and his ears started staying up. teething takes a lot out of our little guys. believe me they will stand up without having to do anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too give my pup cottage cheese. I mix it into his food. Supposedly the calcium in the cottage cheese is good for their ears. I've done some research about supplementing the calcium the dog looses during teething, some of the suggestions were to give the puppy cottage cheese, yogurt or pieces of cheese. Not too much though because too much calcium can build up on the puppys' bones, which is bad.

·
Registered
142 Posts
but you are saying that one ear never came fully up before so i believe you must tape them now and no need to wait.. my dog too had his ears down when he started teething but i didnt tape at 4 months and waited till he became 5 and half months because his ears were both fully up before teething.. but when he became 5 and half months and his ears were still not up all the time i taped them and this was last week.. they are still taped till today and i will remove the tape tomorrow.. will let you know the result..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cottage Cheese.... Why?
it has calcium - it's good for his teeth and gives strength to help the ears stand up. teething and ears standing up seem to fight against each other. so, i feel the cottage cheese is and has been helpful. besides the fact he loves it with pineapple:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sherief, so you think I should start taping then? I took Byron today for his rabies vaccine and my vet said he doesn't know too much about how people get the ears to stand (such as taping) but he said the cartilage in both his ears feel good and strong, not soft at all; and he would assume by the way his ears feel, there won't be a problem standing.. I'm
probably better off taping, better safe than sorry, right?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, take a look at the pictures of him. Those were taken this past Saturday. His ears aren't completely limp. I guess I'm just making excuses because I really want his ears to stand up on their own, without taping.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sherief, so you think I should start taping then? I took Byron today for his rabies vaccine and my vet said he doesn't know too much about how people get the ears to stand (such as taping) but he said the cartilage in both his ears feel good and strong, not soft at all; and he would assume by the way his ears feel, there won't be a problem standing.. I'm
probably better off taping, better safe than sorry, right?

sure my friend and in all cases if taping is done in the right way it wont do any harm.. and i read before in many dogs sites about this matter and most of them recommnend that if your dog's ears have never come up and he is 4 months it's a good idea to tape them.. here is a very good clip showing you how to tape them in a good and easy way..

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is my boy at 14.5 weeks old. he will be 4 months old next week.....just hang in there through teething...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. Byrons left ear (the one that never fully came up) has been standing up straight lately, it will still be down most of the time but I see some progress! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks everyone. Byrons left ear (the one that never fully came up) has been standing up straight lately, it will still be down most of the time but I see some progress! :)
great news :).. i hope you dont have to tape them but still keep the taping solution in your mind while observing his ears till he is 5 months or so then decide..

·
Registered
32,474 Posts
Bear's ear was up and down and up and down all through five months. Now It is standing up perfectly. Be patient. Four months is not the time to worry.

four months is the time to go out and socialize before he gets too big, pointy ear'd and scarey....

1 - 20 of 64 Posts