German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jax is 19 months, 25 1/2" tall and 67#. People keep telling me she's small but she's larger than AKC regulations. What is she being measured against?

She came from the HS and she certainly isn't "high quality" to anyone but me. I'd just like to know if she is actually small or if the other shepherds are just large.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My championed female is 22" on a tall day and 55lbs. Your female actually sounds pretty tall.

·
Super Moderator
32,036 Posts
If I remember correctly, the top of the standard for females is 70 pounds. I don't recall the height standard, but 25-1/2" is certainly not small. Calone is right, I think most people are used to seeing oversized shepherds.

My puppy Halo WILL be small, but should still be well within the breed standard, just towards the lower end vs the higher end.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is very leggy. She's 1 1/2" over regulation which is why I'm confused on what ppl are comparing her too. She is very compact and gaining more muscle so she doesn't appear to be as heavy as she is until she hits you in the knees.

Ppl have asked me if she's a purebred because they think she's to small. She's a german shepherd, not a great dane!!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yeah, Mayzie is also 25 1/2" and 69lbs and we get comments all the time that she's small for a shepherd
People seem to expect 100+ lb shepherds even though that is way over breed standard.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of these ppl have german shepherds. They didn't ask me if she was a purebred but said she was small

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't get it either. I always got that with my Golden Retriever, people commented on how small she was but she was 1 1/2 inches over the standard at 24"! The only thing I could think of is maybe because she has a slim build and a narrow back they thought she was smaller than she actually was. She was within the weight limit for females even though she was over the height. She was a 'field type' Golden (or a poorly bred one, she was a stray so not sure) and so she did not have the wide back and blocky head that the show dogs have. She also got mistaken for an Irish Setter most of the time since she was a red Golden...

I don't think anyone has called Bianca small yet but we'll see if I get that with her too! She's 26" and 73 lbs... She is also somewhat of a slim/leggy build.

It's kinda funny now that I think about it, both my female Golden and Bianca were/are at the top of their breed's height in the standard for males.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
People are just used to seeing oversized, 100+ lb shepherds. I get the "oh what a pretty puppy" comment all the time when out in public, and my dogs are full grown. It drives me up the wall!

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: phgsd It drives me up the wall!
Glad I'm not the only one!

So how do you respond? I get tired of saying "Well actually...."

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Janka is 19 months and 2 weeks. She is 23" at the withers and weighs 54 lbs. She certainly appears petite compared to most purebred Shepherds, but she is my powerhouse.

People are always asking or commenting "She is still a puppy right?" .. "Is she around 12 months old? She looks to be that age" .. "Aw look at that GSD puppy!" .. "How old is your puppy?"

Jax sure is a tall female though!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I try not to lose patience. If it's just in passing I'll say "No, she is full grown." If someone actually seems to care I will explain that female GSDs are supposed to be this size.
Every once in a while I'll get a comment about how I have such a beautiful dog and "That is what a GSD is supposed to look like!" so that sort of balances out the annoying comments!

It's funny though, even at my Schh club one lady made a comment to me about how one day she'd like a "nice small" female like mine. She was talking about Kessy who is 24" tall and 68 lb, if she was any bigger she'd be oversized! This lady has a showline male and a working line female, and the female is way too big.
I just nodded and smiled and rolled my eyes when she wasn't looking

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally Posted By: Jax08
Originally Posted By: phgsd It drives me up the wall!
So how do you respond? I get tired of saying "Well actually...."
hmm, i do tend to start my sentences off that way, but generally i acknowledge that Tilden is on the smaller side for a male, but still within standard. Gia, my female is over standard, but i rarely get any comments for her aside from "thats a big dog". i guess she's the size that people assume shepherds should be. my cousin has a gsd who is closer to the great dane range as oppose to the gsd. Tilden is approx 24.5" Gia is approx 26" and Mambo is AT LEAST 2 inches taller than Gia... people have even commented that he's too big to be pure gsd... but he is... as thin as Tilden, but 30lbs heavier just to give you a better idea.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do ppl that own pomerian's get the silly questions we get?

Is it a purebred?
Is it a german shepherd?
Will it bite?
blah....blah...blahhh

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Onyx is overly large at 27" for a female, many people think she is male due to her size. When I walk her and Kacie together her size is more obvious as Kacie is 25". Karlo, male will hopefully be the smallest of my pack!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Originally Posted By: MetalsmithYeah, I don't know why, but often the average joe thinks that german shepherds are supposed to be humungous.

Very pretty girl though!
They do seem to think that GSD should be Great Dane sized. Mandalay is 26.5 inches and goes between 85 and 90 pounds...she is not a tiny girl. Our neighbors have this golden that is GIGANTIC!! Mandi is dwarfed compared to this thing and they keep asking me when Mandi will finish growing and that she seems so small. At 16 months, I think she is done, and while she is small compared to their super-golden, she is not small.

I think that they see Mandi as being smaller since her fur is so tight and not as fluffy as the "normal" Rin Tin Tin type GSD that people see most.

Your girl sounds fine. I woud not worry about it at all...just like people, some get tall, some stay short.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
None of my Fidleco girls have topped 75 lbs. Fenna was the biggest at 72. They are all very compact and beautifully balanced. Their movement matches them perfectly.
My rescue boy Frodo, who is the love of my life, seems way to tall and large to me at 11 months. He is at 85 lbs, and is truly out of sorts with his limbs.My girls grew much nicer!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally Posted By: Jax08do ppl that own pomerian's get the silly questions we get?

Is it a purebred?
Is it a german shepherd?
Will it bite?
blah....blah...blahhh
Well, as someone who has 3 Poms as well as a GSD, yeah. I also get
Do they bark a lot? Gotta say yes on that one!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts