German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my GSD mackenzie is the offspring of a pure white GSD ''Ringo" and a normal sable GSD "molly", both dogs have pedigrees or so I was told. Mackenzie turned out to be a sable GSD but is unlike any German shephard that I have ever seen. She was born with a dark face and face markings but that soon turned into just sable and she has almost no facial markings except around the eyes. The rest of her is a typical german shephard except for the very tip of her tail which ended up with a tiny white tip. She has the body characteristics of a GSD and is about 60 pounds at nine months which is the size of her mother. I was just wondering if this kind of thing is normal or if I should get her DNA tested for something that got mixed in there

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Im no expert, but something about her just doesn't look right (for a GSD that is) However her looks may mature as she ages. Also my GSD has unique markings. I wouldn't waste money getting the DNA testing done because at the end of the day she's your dog and you will love her regardless.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i love her regardless and she is literally the smartest dog ive ever met:) thank ya'll. I dont think that i would buy a dna test because i dont plan on breeding her for anyone. I honestly thought that maybe it was because her dad was all white and maybe that was why she is lighter sable than usual

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
White is a masking gene, it essentially "covers" the regular markings of the shepherd. It does NOT make the resulting offspring lighter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm..thats good to know about the white gene, ive always suspected that she is mixed but it doesnt really matter to me she is the best puppy:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
she's cute no matter what. Definitely dont waste your money on a DNA test. They're not accurate anyway.

·
Registered
642 Posts
SO adorable!! she looks JUST like my Snickers (in my avatar). Snickers is a Shepherd mix-we think she has lab in her though people that don't know shepherds can't tell. She doesn't have black markings and her hind quarters are built like a labs. Now that she is entering into 7years she definitely looks more like a lab. she is so kind and sweet and loving and smart! <3

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Her coloring is gorgeous! Very pretty girl. Stosh's best friend is a pure gsd, a black male and he has the same slim face and head. He was neutered at a very young age so he's got that long lanky slim look.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well folks, with a little prodding at the couple
I got her from i found out that mackenzie is definitely mixed seeing as the other pups from the litter dont look anything like shepherds and I actually got the only one that most resembled a GSD. So her real dad could possibly be a labrador that lives in the neighboring yard.
haha but it just goes to show you that the dog picks the owner and no matter what her breed, shes my baby :)

In hindsight, the next time i get a GSD i will go to a legitimate breeder lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts