German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering is my gsd is a GSD or a gsd malinois mix?? She’s my sidekick lol she is about 2 1/2 years old and weighs around 75lbs give it take. Is that normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think she definitely looks full GSD! Is she spayed and if yes when? If she was spayed early that could explain her leggy appearance, which might make you think she's not full gsd.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
definitely looks like American show line breeding .
Looks a bit early Covy Tucker Hill -- reminsent of Don Quixote type PROGENY - example only Gem Crest Princess Kaiulani

not possible to be that direct a relation because of the 20 or so years that have passed --

I did have a Don Quioxte son , hbi dam was a Merkel's Quaestor daughter - bottom line to Von Nassaus Morning Jewel.

He happened to be an exceptional dog with qualities missing in many of our gsd now.

***** check the ears for tatoos , check the flank for tatoos -- see if you cn get a microchip scan.***********

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think she definitely looks full GSD! Is she spayed and if yes when? If she was spayed early that could explain her leggy appearance, which might make you think she's not full gsd.

Yes I got her got spayed about A month or two ago. I was questioning the breed because of her longer snout and longer ears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I am new to breed so I can't answer your question. But, I can tell you that she is a lovely girl! Love her markings and how well muscled her hind end is!
Looks like a GSD. Mixes are funny things though; sometimes they don't look 50/50. Her weight is fine and she looks beautiful.
I could be wrong but she looks like an ASL.
She looks great- phenotypically she sure looks all GSD.

But without her pedigree, you'll never know for sure.

75 lbs is normal, even a bit large for a GSD female.
agreed, GSD, ASL
definitely looks like American show line breeding .
Looks a bit early Covy Tucker Hill -- reminsent of Don Quixote type PROGENY - example only Gem Crest Princess Kaiulani

not possible to be that direct a relation because of the 20 or so years that have passed --

I did have a Don Quioxte son , hbi dam was a Merkel's Quaestor daughter - bottom line to Von Nassaus Morning Jewel.

He happened to be an exceptional dog with qualities missing in many of our gsd now.

***** check the ears for tatoos , check the flank for tatoos -- see if you cn get a microchip scan.***********

Thank you all for your kind opinions. She’s my first gsd so I didn’t know much about anything, AKC papers and certified hip or health papers. those kind of things I had no idea about. I got her from one of my local friends and said she is full gsd. I seen both the parents so I know that’s true lol. But as I looked closer at her running and what not I took her to the vet and yes she has hip dysphasia, doc said it’s not to bad but it’s there. She doesn’t act like it bothers her now. It’s disappointing but she’s my shadow so A few shots to help and prayers can help anything.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you really want to know, and finances allow it, go spend the money on an Embark kit. I tested my dog mainly because I wanted to know if he carried DM. The test said he was 100% GSD, had little inbreeding, and was clear of a whole bunch of genetic conditions that GSDs are prone to, including multi-drug resistance. I got some peace of mind and I gave my vet the report so we could rule some things out if the dog had any health issues later.

If you don't want to or can't spend the $200, pretty much anyone here will tell you that the only thing that matters is how YOU feel about your dog. And it's true! You have a very nice-looking dog with the enviable description of "sidekick".

I got my dog from neighbors. He's not "papered". No show titles. We got him for free! He's been a great dog and he seems to like being part of our family. Who's to say whether or not a $2K pup from another breeder would have fit in with us so well?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
$200 is a lot to spend on satisfying idle curiousity - when the dog does have AKC , breeder is knows to the owner, parents have been seen , and , the dog has been spayed.

I do have to ask how it was determined that the dog has hip dysplasia
you said "I looked closer at her running and what not I took her to the vet and yes she has hip dysphasia, doc said it’s not to bad but it’s there?
you aren't expert at the movement of the gsd , and the vet , unless he did an x ray , is assuming -
You shouldn't be disappointed -- you don't really know . X ray is the only way to really know.

I have never heard of shots as you said " A few shots to help and prayers can help anything."
What?

No shots . Prayers , you are on your own .

I would be more proactive . I would spend the $200 you could spend on a dna test to determine "purebred gsd"
on things that matter and can benefit the dog whether there is hip dysplasia or not . Preventive care .
Prevent inflammation. Aim for joint stability - muscle tone and ligament integrity.

If the "breeder" has a male , registered AKC , and the female then it would be very easy and inexpensive to get
a paternity test done by purchasing two kits , one for each parent from https://vetdnacenter.com/dna-tests/canine-dna-testing/ -- a simple cheek swab is all that is required.

If you choose to do this you may as well get the biological material analysed for Degenerative Myelopathy - because you
can take proactive steps through nutrition to delay onset .

Let this local breeder friend know what is going on. .
can you PM me a pedigree or would you reveal the AKC reg'd names of sire and dam.
I am curious to find out if there was any distant relationship to the lines that might be there .

as for your concerns quote " I was questioning the breed because of her longer snout and longer ears."
I would say the head is actually quite nice and typical of the group that has become the "Amercian show lines"

You can't compare her to working or west German show or Czech or DDR -- .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$200 is a lot to spend on satisfying idle curiousity - when the dog does have AKC , breeder is knows to the owner, parents have been seen , and , the dog has been spayed.

I do have to ask how it was determined that the dog has hip dysplasia
you said "I looked closer at her running and what not I took her to the vet and yes she has hip dysphasia, doc said it’s not to bad but it’s there?
you aren't expert at the movement of the gsd , and the vet , unless he did an x ray , is assuming -
You shouldn't be disappointed -- you don't really know . X ray is the only way to really know.

I have never heard of shots as you said " A few shots to help and prayers can help anything."
What?

No shots . Prayers , you are on your own .

I would be more proactive . I would spend the $200 you could spend on a dna test to determine "purebred gsd"
on things that matter and can benefit the dog whether there is hip dysplasia or not . Preventive care .
Prevent inflammation. Aim for joint stability - muscle tone and ligament integrity.

If the "breeder" has a male , registered AKC , and the female then it would be very easy and inexpensive to get
a paternity test done by purchasing two kits , one for each parent from https://vetdnacenter.com/dna-tests/canine-dna-testing/ -- a simple cheek swab is all that is required.

If you choose to do this you may as well get the biological material analysed for Degenerative Myelopathy - because you
can take proactive steps through nutrition to delay onset .

Let this local breeder friend know what is going on. .
can you PM me a pedigree or would you reveal the AKC reg'd names of sire and dam.
I am curious to find out if there was any distant relationship to the lines that might be there .

as for your concerns quote " I was questioning the breed because of her longer snout and longer ears."
I would say the head is actually quite nice and typical of the group that has become the "Amercian show lines"

You can't compare her to working or west German show or Czech or DDR -- .

I guess I should have been a little clearer. I noticed a kind of bunny hop with her back legs when running, so I did some research and to be for sure the vet some some x-rays and he said it’s there and showed me, Im not sure what I was looking at but I did see a different in the left and right hip. So a few shots meaning for about a year I’ve gave her some steroid shots to help with the HD along with some daily chews for hip and joint. there are so many things for HD and Im not to sure as to what’s best. Yes I know I could get her surgery but I’m not sure if that’s best or what. Not to be churlish but Yes, prayers and faith go along way
Isaiah 53:5-6.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
be very careful with cortisone shots

quote ----

"Complications of cortisone shots can include:
Joint infection
Nerve damage
Thinning of skin and soft tissue around the injection site
Temporary flare of pain and inflammation in the joint
Tendon weakening or rupture
Thinning of nearby bone (osteoporosis)
Whitening or lightening of the skin around the injection site
Death of nearby bone (osteonecrosis)
Temporary increase in blood sugar
Limits on the number of cortisone shots
There's concern that repeated cortisone shots might cause the cartilage within a joint to deteriorate. So doctors typically limit the number of cortisone shots into a joint.

from https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cortisone-shots/about/pac-20384794

·
Registered
225 Posts
My parents have an adopted GSD, they even got her papers so she is definitely 100% GSD. She however looks like a ridiculously large fox to me and is a larger female at 84 lbs. Probably depends on the dogs being bred as well. I've seen some dogs where the breeder is breeding for the liver or blue colors and the dogs just don't look like GSDs, the heads are all wrong, the snout, and size.

Your girl to me at least looks like she is pure bred. I questioned a few things about my last girl (didn't have papers). She had ears that were a bit flared and her eyes looked almost almond shaped. I have seen other pure bred GSDs who had the same look that she did though.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
quote " her eyes looked almost almond shape"

Good ! because that is what the standard asks for ! Here , straight from the written standard

"Eyes:
The eyes are of medium size, almond shaped, slightly oblique and not protruding. The colour of the eyes should be as dark as possible. Light piercing eyes are not desirable as they detract from the expression of the dog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts