German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our latest addition is Kratos....at 7 wks 3 days he weighed 17.1 lbs, tonight at 8 weeks 3 days he is 19.5 lbs. Is that too much weight in 1 week? I'm feeding him Nutro Puppy according to age and weight. He is very active, not chubby. Our last shepherd who is now 20 months weighed only 14lbs at 9 weeks and now at 20 months weighs 80lbs. I want to be sure that Kratos isn't growing and gaining too quickly. I know like babies, they each grow differently but does this mean he is a fast grower or will end up being more than 80lbs? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
2-3 lbs is normal growth, but at 17 lbs 8 weeks you have a big boy. Id guess over 100 lbs as an adult but I dunno what im talking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is 19.5 pounds at 8 weeks 3 days. I'm hoping he isn't really large as I always worry about the hips. I never had any of my other gsd's weighing this much at this age

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mother is about 75lbs muscular but lean and agile. The father not too sure of the weight but a more stocky build and if I had to guess I would say roughly 85-90 lbs. I know when the litter of 10 pups were taken to the vet at 6 weeks they all ranges from 10 lbs to 13.5( heavier pups were the males)

·
Registered
252 Posts
So cute! My boy has been gaining about 10 pds per month. At 5 months weighed 58 pds.
He is solid muscle - looks great. My girl at 10 months was only 54 pds, she is very lean.
They are both the same height --but he is twice her size already. I'm taking them next week to be weighed again. Just like people- they come in all sizes!
The both run and run and run. Enjoy your little one

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Every puppy is different. A weight that would be too heavy for one puppy might be right on the mark for another. Go by body condition not weight. And yes, pictures are better for getting opinions (and who doesn't want to see puppy pictures??). You really can't go by their weight.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Whether or not he's too heavy would depend on his actual condition (what does he look and feel like). There's a huge range for puppies. My good friend imported a puppy that looked like a big teddy bear but going on two years old he hasn't broken 70lbs yet. I had a puppy that was only 9lbs at 8 weeks but now going on three he's a normal sized male probably around 75lbs but kept lean and still filling out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts