German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "seal face" of pulling the ears back when going in to rub a GSD head, is it a sign of submission?

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Yes but it is normal and natural for dogs to do it...you'd need to also look at the entire body language, not just the ears.
It's normal too for dogs to put their ears back in displeasure too - which is why it's important to know the body language.

What else is going on with the dog when this is happening? Whose dog is it?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No just curious. Petting my GSD, just the typical "seal face"

·
Banned
11,005 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Whenever I come home and let Ky out of her crate her ears go back, tail starts wagging and she's eager to go out! She does the same thing every time she sees my dad!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
i dont think it means submission my dog pputs its ears back to my cat when it greets my cat i think its just a friendly greeting

but it can also be nasty sometimes they will put their ears back before they bite

submission is more peeing on the spot tail between legs or belly up

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess i don't mean submissive in being scared, but submissive to a pack leader

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
well my fat house cat is not my dogs pack leader thats for sure lol my dog is a very dominant bitch. Its just a friendly gesture.

·
Registered
586 Posts
hahaha THAT is a great pic!!! soooooo cute!!!
wolfy puts his ears back when he's happy, cuddly, greeting people, and sleepy.

·
Registered
30,962 Posts
Dogs have so many expressions

"take pity on me" while begging for a pork chop

"Are you laughing at ME?"

"Is this my best side"

It's really about knowing your dog. :)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
In my years of living with GSDs I had two that would pin their ears back when they were happy and excited - while their ears were back their entire body was wagging. Our B'EL would tuck her tail and roll her eyes in sheer delight whenever she was scratched under her chin or on her chest. They all have their little quirks - you need to know your dog and read their over all body language. :)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
My dogs have their ears back all the time. Just means they are happy.

:paw:

·
Registered
205 Posts
It can be happy and relaxed, and even enjoying, it can be from fear and insecurity, it can be many things. And sometimes, when they are enjoying it they can even lick their muzzles or blinking their eyes. :)

My dog when he has that sleepy face, he actually look quite pitiful lol but he loves being petted and his hears would be down while landing his head on us. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The "seal face" of pulling the ears back when going in to rub a GSD head, is it a sign of submission?
Sometimes they pull their ears back to appear approachable. My dog pulls his ears back for me when he knows I’m scared of him. His size scares me sometimes, especially when he jumps on me or tries to do some weirdo things like sitting on my shoulder like a parrot lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Kais puts his ears back when he knows he's being naughty or when he is carrying something he found to his crate. Or when I'm playing "keep away" with him. Then he does "cute puppy ears" and trots away. I've always thought it was so cute and funny.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sometimes they pull their ears back to appear approachable. My dog pulls his ears back for me when he knows I’m scared of him. His size scares me sometimes, especially when he jumps on me or tries to do some weirdo things like sitting on my shoulder like a parrot lol
This thread is 8 years old....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts