German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have a 5 month old that likes to play rough sometimes, jumping, biting (not hard, sometimes he just places his mouth around my arm or hand and doesn't bite)...but he seems to enjoy it more when i push and wrestle with him.

I don't mind the rough play, but other family members do. Is there a way to let him know that he can only play rough with me?

Also does this encourage any negative behavior? If so, I will stop it but he seems to have so much fun.

Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you encourage rough play and biting now, it's going to be harder to stop when he's a lot bigger and the biting hurts more.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I think it's hard, especially for a puppy, to learn that some humans they can jump and bite on... while others they can not.

And since ACCIDENTALLY our dogs can get over excited and hurt us (I've bled from my dogs) it's better to encourage safe play that everyone can enjoy. And doesn't accidentally end up with your dog injuring or even just scaring someone.

You can be just as rough and tumble by using a tug toy. The Dog Athlete - Selecting the Best Toys to Train and Motivate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice FlyAway,

In a sense I was pretending to be a dog for him to play with since he doesn't have any dog friends yet

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Great info and vid Maggie,

That is exactly how the pup and I play minus the toy
ADD THE TOY

With the toy, it can be fun and then you can also add it to training. Plus it's keeping the world safe and your puppy TRAINED how to play properly with humans!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Like was mentioned with the tug, that's about as rough as I get with Lisl. I don't want her injuring anyone that comes over with her playing rough and I don't want her mouth on anyone either.

It's not that she bites hard, which she doesn't, it's all of the slobber a visitor would have to deal with too. She might have just finished eating which means she still has food particles in her mouth, or she might have just taken a lick on her bum.

I don't mind, but I don't have enough hand towels to hand out to everyone at the door who visits.

Lisl and I play a lot of ball, fetch, and Frisbee and go on a lot of walks for excercise.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Thanks for the advice FlyAway,

In a sense I was pretending to be a dog for him to play with since he doesn't have any dog friends yet
Yes, add the toy.
The only thing his teeth should bite is a toy. Direct his drive, but not toward yourself. He will soon be so powerful, it won't even be funny. A bodyslam from him could seriously injure you.

You're not a dog, will never be, and he knows that.
He doesn't need dog friends. He needs an owner who engages with him in appropriate ways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts