German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my mother recently purchased our dog, Neko, from a local breeder. Neko’s mother is a black and tan shepherd and the breeder claims that the father is a white shepherd. My mother did see that the breeder owned white shepherds as well, however, she has some doubt that Neko is actually a purebred shepherd. What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
My guess is that Neko is not purebred.What a pretty and happy looking dog though!Enjoy:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is that Neko is not purebred.What a pretty and happy looking dog though!Enjoy:)
Thanks for the response! We definitely have our doubts. She’s considering getting him tested, but the outcome doesn’t really matter. He’s a great companion regardless!

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Have you looked up any information on Panda Shepherds?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you looked up any information on Panda Shepherds?
I looked up a little bit on panda shepherds and the markings on his face are similar, but he has the colors of a silver shepherd which threw me off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some more pictures of Neko. He definitely has the intelligence of a shepherd! The second picture is when we first got him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easy way to tell. What's the pedigree. He either goes back to Frankie or he doesn't.
Cute dog though.
Thanks! The breeder claims that his father is a white shepherd and his mother is a black and tan shepherd. There were a few white ones in the litter, but still not sure about the accuracy of her claim though. I think getting him tested is the best option to know for sure.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Thanks! The breeder claims that his father is a white shepherd and his mother is a black and tan shepherd. There were a few white ones in the litter, but still not sure about the accuracy of her claim though. I think getting him tested is the best option to know for sure.
Does the breeder not know? Did you not get a pedigree?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That is not a purebred shepherd. The ears are wrong - if a GSD's ears aren't going to stand, they don't look like that. Secondly, a white sheperd x a black and tan does NOT produce a black and white dog, as the white gene is recessive. You would get either a black and tan pup, or, if the other parent carried for white, and passed on the gene, a white shepherd with no markings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the breeder not know? Did you not get a pedigree?
The breeder did not give her a pedigree. All she said was that her female shepherd “got out” while in heat and mated with her white male shepherd. Questions were asked but she insisted that her dogs were full bred.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is not a purebred shepherd. The ears are wrong - if a GSD's ears aren't going to stand, they don't look like that. Secondly, a white sheperd x a black and tan does NOT produce a black and white dog, as the white gene is recessive. You would get either a black and tan pup, or, if the other parent carried for white, and passed on the gene, a white shepherd with no markings.
There were some black and tan pups, as well as white ones in the litter. This is our first shepherd so we don’t know all there is to know. We just figured his ears would eventually stand since he is only six months.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The breeder did not give her a pedigree. All she said was that her female shepherd “got out” while in heat and mated with her white male shepherd. Questions were asked but she insisted that her dogs were full bred.
Fair enough. He is a cutie either way. Panda is a spontaneous mutation that occurred in one dog so all Panda's go back to her. Most of the Panda dogs have either been altered or ended up with less then stellar breeders. It is possible that the breeder is telling the truth, but I have my doubts. A female can conceive by more then one dog, so a litter can have more then one sire. Shadow's ears did the tippy thing until she was about a year old, not sure how old your boy is.
If you are really curious then test, but looks like you got a handsome and happy boy!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It’s really hard to tell, I would be interested in seeing the DNA results if you test him, you can occasionally get the test done on sale. Maybe now with everyone hiding out would be a good time to contact them and ask for a discount. If she got out she could have mated with a loose dog too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fair enough. He is a cutie either way. Panda is a spontaneous mutation that occurred in one dog so all Panda's go back to her. Most of the Panda dogs have either been altered or ended up with less then stellar breeders. It is possible that the breeder is telling the truth, but I have my doubts. A female can conceive by more then one dog, so a litter can have more then one sire. Shadow's ears did the tippy thing until she was about a year old, not sure how old your boy is.
If you are really curious then test, but looks like you got a handsome and happy boy!
Thanks, he’s six months! I really appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s really hard to tell, I would be interested in seeing the DNA results if you test him, you can occasionally get the test done on sale. Maybe now with everyone hiding out would be a good time to contact them and ask for a discount. If she got out she could have mated with a loose dog too.
I’ve been trying to find mixed shepherds that look like him but haven’t had much luck. I’m interested in seeing his results as well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One way to tell is by size. How much does he weigh?
We don’t have an exact measurement at the moment, but he’s at least 50lbs. He’s gotten a lot bigger in the past month and is shedding like crazy! Here’s a recent picture of him laying down to get an idea of how long he is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts