German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost five month old GSD male only weighs 28 lbs. Should I be worried? I feed him about 2 1/2 pounds a day, and he eats ravenously, is very active and happy, and stands 15 inches tall at the shoulder. I also work him monthly and am treating him weekly for tick prevention, since they're so bad this year. I don't care if he's on the small side, I just want to be sure he's healthy.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
His height and weight definitely is on the small side. As another posted, pictures would help. What catches my eye is that such a small dog is eating such a large quantity of food.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was feeding him 7% of his body weight based on my research, but he was always hungry, and not really gaining, so I increased it to closer to ten%
Here's pics. Also, I just measured him again, and he's 17 inches now, 2 inches up from a week and a half ago. Oh, and that was supposed to say worm him monthly, not work ?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
He looks beautifully healthy. And he has a sweet face! He will grow to be what he is meant to be. That does seem a lot of food though, my guess would be a growth spurt coming up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree, he looks beautiful. Healthy coat, bright eyes! Even his gums have a nice pink hue to them. Everyone told us our male was too thin as well (the vet said he was healthy tho) but he is just more muscular. He is long, tall and thin. Your boy looks great, have fun with him :) My Chunk is now 7 months, 55 lbs and no longer fits in my lap (even though he tries) and I miss him being smaller. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree, everyone told me that my Beaux needs to be fed more and was way to skinny. The Vet reassured me that he was perfect in weight and that many American bred GSD's are way to overbred to be huge! With further research, I found the smaller 60-80 pounds German Shepherds, are the actual working line that resembles the way the Shepherd from Germany was bred. Your pup looks great! : )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts