German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our pup Alayna is about 5 months old now. And we got her at 4 weeks. And I'll post some pictures. She was the runt of her litter, and weighs about 40 pounds now. But the more we post pictures of her the more people start commenting about how she doesn't look purebred. (I don't mind but my husband would be sad. Haha) Can anybody let me know what's up?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
as a puppy she doesn't look purebred, but as she gets older she looks more and more like a GSD, especially that last photo. she's adorable btw!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as a puppy she doesn't look purebred, but as she gets older she looks more and more like a GSD, especially that last photo. she's adorable btw!
Thank you! A lot of people are saying her snout doesn't seem purebred. But I still have some hope left in me lol

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
"people" have their sterotypes so far as GSDs go. A good friend thought my first PB was a mix because he had wavey hair down his back. My first coatie was both long haired, thin and very dark blanket back -- more questions. My current youngster is a thin bi-color with a thin face/skull. I'm sure a lot of folks think she is "something else" besides a PB GSD.
Judging from photos is hard. I was sent to evaluate a pound puppy for a rescue group that was sure he was PB. One look at him in person said "nope" maybe not even a cross. He was way too small (like 20 to 30 lbs) with a coat like a dobbie although marked like a GSD.
So my point here is that there is a lot of variation in the GSD so far as refinement of features goes and size, too. One of the best dogs in our club is a lean fifty pounder. All 50 lbs are gsd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"people" have their sterotypes so far as GSDs go. A good friend thought my first PB was a mix because he had wavey hair down his back. My first coatie was both long haired, thin and very dark blanket back -- more questions. My current youngster is a thin bi-color with a thin face/skull. I'm sure a lot of folks think she is "something else" besides a PB GSD.
Judging from photos is hard. I was sent to evaluate a pound puppy for a rescue group that was sure he was PB. One look at him in person said "nope" maybe not even a cross. He was way too small (like 20 to 30 lbs) with a coat like a dobbie although marked like a GSD.
So my point here is that there is a lot of variation in the GSD so far as refinement of features goes and size, too. One of the best dogs in our club is a lean fifty pounder. All 50 lbs are gsd.
Thank you! It's amazing to me how many people who don't even own one or never have owned one become experts on the breed lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts