German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: Hey guys, kind of freaking out here. My first puppy is my White GSD, he is 3 months old roughly (We adopted and still no signs of teeth falling out). The shelter gave me food but didn't tell me how much to feed him, so I was going off the bag with his current weight, not the "mature weight".

He is now on Puppy Blue Wilderness. He is 20lbs (which seems light for a 3 month old GSD), and I have been feeding him 1.5 cups a day (Which the bag says for 20 lbs... I thought it meant current weight not mature) and I was suppose to feed him 3 cups a day.

I can feel his ribs but you can not see them, he acts healthy but of course always wanting more food (which I know is normal).

I understand that companies normally say more than what you are suppose to feed him but I wanted to make sure I didn't just screw up his growing.

I got him on 6/5/13, and for a week he was on a special food which I know I was feeding him the right amount because it was prescribed by the Vet (Little Max had an upset tummy all the time).

Its been about 3 weeks than, I may be overworrying, I just want to make sure my puppy grows up to his proper weight and height and I am trying to be the best owner that I can be.

I understand that it is a very stupid mistake, I should of read the bag more carefully, it was a noobie mistake.

I will start feeding him his correct allowance but I just wanted to make sure that this wouldn't severely stunt his growth.

I truly appreciate your guy's help! Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
He will be ok, relax!!

Go by his body condition, the guidelines are just that - guidelines.

You actually don't want puppies to be too chunky, it's hard on growing joints. Break the meals up, so you are feeding at least 2 smaller meals in the day (or even 3), rather than one large one.

He'll be fine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! I appreciate that a lot. My fiance said I needed to relax too, but I wanted to check because I don't want a miniature German Shepherd :p.

He eats three small meals a day. One at 7 AM one at 1:30 am and one at 6:30 pm.

I appreciate the quick response.

He will be ok, relax!!

Go by his body condition, the guidelines are just that - guidelines.

You actually don't want puppies to be too chunky, it's hard on growing joints. Break the meals up, so you are feeding at least 2 smaller meals in the day (or even 3), rather than one large one.

He'll be fine!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
He will be okay. Sadly, there are pups out there that have come through much worse conditions and grown up to be healthy.

Don't beat yourself up, you didn't know, but you caught it and fixed it! If I could count all the mistakes I've made with my dogs over the years...yikes!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been there too! **** I though my pup was gonna stay 35 pounds forever... For 3 weeks she was around 34-35 then she hit 5 months old and hit 49 pounds.

Like said before, you do not want the dog to be chunky as it is very hard on growing bones/joints. Even at a mature age it is hard. Just like us humans. Too fat = bad health. I've found out that a female should be around 65-75pounds from a year and a half old and on, males 80-90.

I feed mine 3 cups in the morning 8am and at 5pm at night.

A couple of things to look at your pup to realize if they are healthy (breeder and a 20 year training xp trainer told me these).

Wet nose
Shiny top coat
Gently rub your fingers (all 5) from back of the neck to the tail and if it leaves a line of your fingers for a few seconds they are healthy.

And then the obvious signs... Energy being one, still runs around like a madman and not wanting to stop? Healthy. Wants, begs for food? Healthy. Brings a toy to you to play? Healthy.

Don't worry about freaking out. What I've observed with my pup is that she grows and looks lengthy which exposes her ribs a little bit (only if her head and tail turn left or right which exposes the ribs).

Another suggestion would be is that, feed her only twice morning and night. But in between as they are somewhat hungry... Use treats to train em! Sit/down/come around (left to right with a sit at end). GSDs are extremely smart (stubborn when growing lol) but will do anything you want for a treat! Use that to your advantage! I thought her to go in her bedroom (kennel), bring your toy (will find her toy and bring it), shake left and right, sit, speak (with barking and with the cute growl/speak), worship (fast down from a sit) and down (slow and gentle down.

One thing I made the mistake is that.. Do NOT teach them down after a sit... Every now and then she will sit and then immediately down...

My pup is only 5 and a half months old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I truly appreciate the feed back. I am glad to know that I didn't screw up already. I will try to start feeding him twice a day, I know the treats though are a fact, he LOVES his treats.

I have taught him a few commands (Sit, Stay, Down, Shake, Leave it{With treats on his paws}, roll over, play dead.) The only problem is the reliability of these tricks are not so high, and maybe his drive to get a treat will make him more likely to do them on the first try.

Max was very HAPPY to see he had double his normal serving at dinner today, I think he will enjoy this new amount of food.

And he does have a wet nose and a very shiny coat. Looks like Max is healthy as a clam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts