German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Hope all are fine.

Wanted to ask if my puppy is skinny or not cause his weight is OK.
He would be 4 months the next week (next Thursday) and weighs around 16-18kg right now.
He looks fine from side but from above the waist tuck looks a little much.
I can feel the ribs when pressed.
Would be really thankful for any help.

Edit: These pics are taken from morning after he wakes. Also the above waist tuck is this much only during morning. It becomes less noticeable after his first meal and then throughout the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He looks fine. How much are you feeding him (and total calories) and how much exercise/play does he get?
So I go by this

Morning: Dog food (quantity from the guidelines of tha packet)
Daytime: Boiled rice with some boiled vegetables mostly carrot and some kind of meat mostly chicken. I have been giving him chicken feet often from the last week or so.
Evening: Boiled rice with chicken. And some amount of kibble added.

I would also give him 1 or 2 eggs daily (raw).

For the exercise and play I take him for walk around 20-30 minutes and he would usually run on the terrace when set free. Won't let me pick during this running. Plays tug and fetch really happily.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Again, the puppy looks fine to me but I doubt he's getting the total calories he needs or will need shortly (rice and carrots don't offer much in the way of solid nutrition and calories). And you'll need t be prepared shortly for much more exercise output than walks and a run on the terrace. He'll need a softer surface and much more room to run of energy. Don't play too much fetch on a stone surface. He's definitely not overweight at all but it's good to keep them lean for at least the first 18 months.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You need to be feeding a complete and balanced nutritional food.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, the puppy looks fine to me but I doubt he's getting the total calories he needs or will need shortly (rice and carrots don't offer much in the way of solid nutrition and calories). And you'll need t be prepared shortly for much more exercise output than walks and a run on the terrace. He'll need a softer surface and much more room to run of energy. Don't play too much fetch on a stone surface. He's definitely not overweight at all but it's good to keep them lean for at least the first 18 months.
Ok thanks so much for the info.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is there a reason you are not feeding kibble? Rice and veg//chicken does not contain the nutrition this pup needs. Get the best kibble your budget allows, its so important while they are growing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a reason you are not feeding kibble? Rice and veg//chicken does not contain the nutrition this pup needs. Get the best kibble your budget allows, its so important while they are growing.
I definitely want to but here in my country there are not many options.
Either some are really bad and the other which are good are really really expensive.
So I could only get a 4-5kg bag of decent kibble per month.

·
Registered
141 Posts
He looks fine to me, my pup was 19kgs just before he turned 4 months, his abdomen also looked tucked, but he is on high quality kibble, so i'd assume the tuck is normal at that stage of development. I agree with the rest, his diet doesn't sound as nutritonal as it should be.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He looks fine to me, my pup was 19kgs just before he turned 4 months, his abdomen also looked tucked, but he is on high quality kibble, so i'd assume the tuck is normal at that stage of development. I agree with the rest, his diet doesn't sound as nutritonal as it should be.
Hmmm.
Can you inform about anything which I can prepare for him at home?
Would give kibble twice a day.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable enough to inform you on a cooked/raw diet as I've only ever fed my pets kibble and bland boilt chicken as a treat.
There are people on here that may be able to help if you write up a new post asking for cooked food recommendations, or discuss with your vet if possible.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not knowledgeable enough to inform you on a cooked/raw diet as I've only ever fed my pets kibble and bland boilt chicken as a treat.
There are people on here that may be able to help if you write up a new post asking for cooked food recommendations, or discuss with your vet if possible.
Ok thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm notversed enough with Raw feeding other than the basics, because it's not feasible for me. You need a good variety of meat types, (beef, chicken, lamb, rabbit, fish, sardines etc:) a percentage of organ meat and bone, as well as vitamin supplements to round out the nutritional value of the meal. If you are on FaceBook, there are some RAW Feeding groups...It's also not very recommended to be mixing Raw and Kibble, as they digest at different rates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts