German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got her from a breeder yesterday but she doesn't have papers and I have my doubts. I love her regardless but still want to know if I got ripped off. Her coloring seems to be very odd for a GSD. She is 2 months old. Breeder said the puppy hair will fall off and will become jet black - has this happened to anyone before? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi vsas, welcome to the board.

Your puppy appears to be a pure bred sable GSD, but hard to tell when they are this small. Sables are common in working lines, and are becoming more common among pet-dog breeders too. Sables go through a LOT of color changes before their final adult coat comes in (around 2 or 3 years old - sometimes as late as 4 or 5 years old), but NEVER, EVER will they turn solid black. Solid black pups are born solid black, and stay solid black. No exeptions.

If you have never seen a sable before, check out this thread:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-me-pictures/165460-show-me-your-sables.html

Your puppy looks skinny and malnourished - hope she got a vet visit and is getting good quality food. I would make the vet visit a priority, as she probably has worms and perhaps other parasites. If you look at the first page of the link above, note the sable puppies from a good breeder here, Lee whose user name is wolfstraum.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-me-pictures/165460-show-me-your-sables.html#post2228211

Their coloring at that age is almost the same as your pup's, but note how they are solid and strong looking, as opposed to how scrawny your pup looks. So make sure you get that vet visit in pronto!

Sables with their final coat can vary wildly, as you can see from the sable thread I linked. Some end up very light with only a saddle area being sable, and some end up very dark, almost looking black (but the dark hairs are only on the surface, the undercoat is lighter tan in colour), or can end anywhere in between those two extremes.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Sable indeed, and a bit skinny but that's an easy fix.

:)

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I got her from a breeder yesterday but she doesn't have papers and I have my doubts. I love her regardless but still want to know if I got ripped off.
i wish you well and nothing personal but the text above pretty much does it for me on many levels.

the only way breeders can be controlled is thru buyers, then i read this in the midst of some recent threads and evrything becomes totally clear.

nice pup

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
i wish you well and nothing personal but the text above pretty much does it for me on many levels.

the only way breeders can be controlled is thru buyers, then i read this in the midst of some recent threads and evrything becomes totally clear.

nice pup
Let's not be too harsh on the newbies - most people don't have any idea how to go about finding a good breeder. A few years ago, not knowing any better, had I been looking for a pure bred anything, I would have just picked up a paper and called a classified add.

It took years of hanging out with working-line GSD people and years of reading this forum to know the difference (I can be a bit slow sometimes . . . ).

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
i certainly mean no ill will to the OP and fully understand the situations that can occur, i merely referenced it in the broader context of recent threads, the OP is more than likely a nice, well meaning person at no personal fault, but for the want of a better word the "mindset" is highly revealing, indicitive, relevant and important to understand for lovers of the breed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!! Makes me feel a lot better. Yes, she is very scrawny. Have taken her to see the vet and have been feeding her Pedigree puppy. Hopefully she'll fatten up soon! Can't wait to see what she finally looks like, color-wise. :)

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
vsas, considered RAW feeding? lots of great info here. any training plans, goals?

fyi dogs don't need papers to be great companions and or workers. i have 4 dogs, none of which have papers, papers would not make me value them any more or less.

good luck, hope you post more pics and hope you understand my comment really had little to do with you personally and NOTHING to do with you as a dog owner.

cheers

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
She's a sable GSD pup. Agree she's thin. If you can afford it, I'd suggest feeding a better quality food than Pedigree.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Pure imo, and she's going to be gorgeous. Look up black sable german shepherds.

where the heck are you getting black sable?! That pup likely won't be anywhere near that dark!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also, I agree, vet visit is in order and make sure to request a stool sample. I would be surprised if she did not have parasites, which can include more then your normal worms like Guardia. while not a huge fan, banfield in petsmart has free first visits promotion, and vca also has a coupon online for first exam free.

I actually use Avoderm large breed which I get for just over $20 a bag through Amazon prime subscriptions (I get the 20% off which makes the subscriptions I have worth it.) Yes, less quantity for your money, but due to higher quality it takes less to feed your dog. Less food, less to pick up.

I don't think they make a large breed for puppies, but Costco Kirkland brand gives you a bang for your buck. It's made by diamond and grain free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
where the heck are you getting black sable?! That pup likely won't be anywhere near that dark!
The paws and stomach. Looks exactly like our friends girl did as a puppy other then being thinner. Maybe not a true black sable, but I won't be surprised if she'll get dark.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
The paws and stomach. Looks exactly like our friends girl did as a puppy other then being thinner. Maybe not a true black sable, but I won't be surprised if she'll get dark.

would be interesting to see the color changes this pup goes through. Except for the thick toe penciling, she looks like my Shasta did when I brought her home.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree, but without knowing her line it makes it harder to guess. There's a local breeder that throws red/blonde with next to no black puppies. Once grown they rarely are anything but dark sable. I just like to think she'll be dark as sables have my heart which is what our old gal had been.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I agree, but without knowing her line it makes it harder to guess. There's a local breeder that throws red/blonde with next to no black puppies. Once grown they rarely are anything but dark sable. I just like to think she'll be dark as sables have my heart which is what our old gal had been.

have to agree. Sables are gorgeous. I'm sold on them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
While I won't knock Pedigree as much as some (okay, a lot of) people here, I do agree that there are much better foods out there. If cost is an issue (and it certainly is for me) a couple I would recommend are 4Health from Tractor Supply Company or the Kirkland brand if you have a Costco. If you don't have either in your area, see if you can find Taste of the Wild. I feed the 4Health to my dogs.

Actually, here is a link to a good place to compare dog food brands. Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
While I won't knock Pedigree as much as some (okay, a lot of) people here, I do agree that there are much better foods out there. If cost is an issue (and it certainly is for me) a couple I would recommend are 4Health from Tractor Supply Company or the Kirkland brand if you have a Costco. If you don't have either in your area, see if you can find Taste of the Wild. I feed the 4Health to my dogs.

Actually, here is a link to a good place to compare dog food brands. Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

agree that 4health is good. Used to feed it here. Switched to Chicken Soup because the nearest TSC WAS almost an hour away. They're comparable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts