German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaia is just a little over 4 months. She is up to date on all her shots, she has frequent exercise (especially retrieving tennis balls) and she eats her meals with no problem (3 meals of Large Breed Puppy Blue Buffalo).

But I have noticed a few weird things. She seems to have diarrhea at the end of her poop when she goes. She'll have a fairly normal bout but at the end it's diarrhea. She'll also drink a lot of water, I have one of those large water dispensers (1.75L) and it'll be gone within a couple days, could be from the diarrhea but I'm uncertain. Also through random times throughout the day she'll have to go outside to potty 3 or 4 times within a 30 minute period, but it'll be very short urination time, 3 or 4 seconds tops. And then the other times she'll have regular long urinations. And finally she will have random tremors as well, so just shaking at rest. Not after exercise or playing, it will be random when she is just laying around resting.

I am taking a fecal sample to the Vet tomorrow, but just wanted to reach out to this forum to see if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
The random tremors would be enough for me to take the pup to the vet. It's probably something easily treatable causing all of the symptoms but I would take her in for an exam and ask the vet if blood work would be a good idea. I'm sure they'd want a stool sample too.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Getting a fecal done when in doubt is a good move. It could be the Blue Buffalo food. Many new pup owners on here have complained about loose stools with BB.
Is your pup having true diarrhea? (several watery or extremely loose stools per day) Or is your pup having a normal poop followed by a softer less formed poop. There is a difference. A single loose of soft poop each day is not necessarily a health issue.
Although she is an adult my dog does this. She has a good solid poop and then after some activity will follow it up with a small (often just a few drops)softer or watery poop. It's just her thing.

As far as the frequent urination. It's pretty normal sounding to me. Young pups pee a lot. And many times they are just marking an area not really peeing.

It takes a good amount of water to rehydrate dry kibble for digestion. I don't think your pup is drinking too much. Seems pretty normal to me. When in doubt ... ask your vet.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Kaia is just a little over 4 months. She is up to date on all her shots, she has frequent exercise (especially retrieving tennis balls) and she eats her meals with no problem (3 meals of Large Breed Puppy Blue Buffalo).

But I have noticed a few weird things. She seems to have diarrhea at the end of her poop when she goes. She'll have a fairly normal bout but at the end it's diarrhea. She'll also drink a lot of water, I have one of those large water dispensers (1.75L) and it'll be gone within a couple days, could be from the diarrhea but I'm uncertain. Also through random times throughout the day she'll have to go outside to potty 3 or 4 times within a 30 minute period, but it'll be very short urination time, 3 or 4 seconds tops. And then the other times she'll have regular long urinations. And finally she will have random tremors as well, so just shaking at rest. Not after exercise or playing, it will be random when she is just laying around resting.

I am taking a fecal sample to the Vet tomorrow, but just wanted to reach out to this forum to see if anyone else has experienced this.
Puppy needs to see the vet. The tremors are concerning. I would have her seen right away for that.

I would discuss your concerns about her intake/output with the vet as well, though that's less worrisome. Puppies do piddle often, their little bladders can only hold so much. And puppies often will try to drink entire bowls of water at a time. As for the poops, the food is always your first suspect. See what your vet thinks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting a fecal done when in doubt is a good move. It could be the Blue Buffalo food. Many new pup owners on here have complained about loose stools with BB.
Is your pup having true diarrhea? (several watery or extremely loose stools per day) Or is your pup having a normal poop followed by a softer less formed poop. There is a difference. A single loose of soft poop each day is not necessarily a health issue.
Although she is an adult my dog does this. She has a good solid poop and then after some activity will follow it up with a small (often just a few drops)softer or watery poop. It's just her thing.

As far as the frequent urination. It's pretty normal sounding to me. Young pups pee a lot. And many times they are just marking an area not really peeing.

It takes a good amount of water to rehydrate dry kibble for digestion. I don't think your pup is drinking too much. Seems pretty normal to me. When in doubt ... ask your vet.
I have a fecal sample tomorrow and I will talk to the vet then to. She doesn't have true diarrhea, while she goes outside for her poop she will have a normal poop which ends with a softer more diarrhea poop.

I will keep everyone updated if I find anything out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts