German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got her from the shelter and they consfiscated her and her littermates because the byb was giving out fake health certificates and the pups were very malnoirished. Her mom and dad were no where to be found when animal control showed up so I don't know what her parents look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
sorry way to early to tell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shepherds change so much in their markings, my a shepherd continued to change color even after he was 6 months old

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
My boy's markings weren't really "final" until he was almost a year. He started quite light with no discernible markings, then got very dark, and settled into a red/black blanket patterned sable. No real way to tell, so enjoy the process! :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona is finishing her first heat at 10 months and her face has gotten darker. Take lots of pics of the progress and of course share with us.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
910 Posts
Is it true that since she has black on her toes (tar heel) that she'll be more black than tan?
At this age, it doesn't mean anything. When they're born, black and tans are mostly/completely black. The tan comes in later. You won't know til she's grown.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Jumping in with a question.

What is a saddle back vs. a blanket back?

Ranger started out with a lot of black - black face and back. Now he has a lot more tannish red. He kind of has a reddish tan stripe around his body at his shoulders, but it doesn't quite go around his whole body. On his back it is more black fur interspersed with tan/red. What is that?

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Is it true that since she has black on her toes (tar heel) that she'll be more black than tan?
I'm no expert, and it's a little hard to tell from your pics, but
if she does have the "penciling" on her toes and a tar heel, what
you may have is a bi-color, and the saddle will never "recede".

The one bi-color I had from puppy hood never did change her
coat pattern. Grayed up eventually, but that's about it.

·
5,627 Posts
Too early to tell definitely saddle or blanket but definitely not bi-color. Judging by how much tan is already present, I would guess saddle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's some of our pup to compare:
ImageUploadedByPG Free1364870493.243028.jpg
About 10 weeks

ImageUploadedByPG Free1364870514.270482.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1364870532.728541.jpg
And these are from the last month or so, he's 14 months now.

Not sure if he's a saddle or a blanket back, but we sure do think he's good looking anyway (we might be biased though! ;) )

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Definitely not bi-color, there is way too much tan on his legs and chest. I'd guess he'll probably be a saddle pattern black and tan as opposed to blanket, but it's really hard to say at that age. Our girl was quite a bit darker in the chest, face and had more black on her legs at that age ... she has lightened a bit, but is a blanket back pattern black and tan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! Sorry the pictures aren't at better angles and quality, she is a wiggly one. As soon as the camera comes out she refuses to sit still lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
Shepherds change so much in their markings, my a shepherd continued to change color even after he was 6 months old
I swear my dog changes with the season. His saddle was much blacker last summer and fall, but really seemed to lighten up this winter with lots more tan hairs in it. It seems to be getting blacker now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts