German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I took home a sweet baby girl the other day. No papers, not sure if her parents are registered or not, but I did see both of them on site. Went into petsmart and everyone was puzzled when I told them she was a GSD, which leads me to question her pedigree. I was told she is 6 weeks of age and light in color, as the rest of her litter mates. but compared to other GSD pups, she looks small, so I'm thinking she is younger than told or of a mixed breed

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Unfortunately it's impossible to tell without a pedigree

To me she does look like a GSD puppy so she could be purebred, 6 weeks is very young to be seperated from the mother.

Edit: I just wanted to add be very careful with taking a puppy that young to a place like Petsmart, her immune system is still very young and not developed yet. It would be safer to keep her in your arms or in the cart, or even better wait for a few more weeks until at least the second set of vaccinations around 12 weeks before taking her into such a dog heavy area

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I agree she looks purebred and adorable.

I also agree her breeder sold her to you too early so you need to be on top of all the issues that make this a bit harder for your puppy. I'd also not take her out with other dogs you don't know for awhile for health concerns. Though people you know with healthy vetted and friendly dogs would be ok.

Good info to give you a heads up on:

Kalahari Rhodesian Ridgebacks-the best time to buy a puppy

This site even recommends 10 weeks

Frequently Asked Questions Page

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
She is adorable, and I agree with the everyone else that she is a bit to young to be out in dog heavy areas, just not safe until she is a bit older.. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I think she is very cute, thanks for sharing her with us.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
She is adorable. Wow her ears are up fast. I also got my puppy at 6 weeks.

I agree dont take her in public places so early. Treatment for Parvo is very expensive. I adopted a cat for my sons girlfriend some years back from a shelter. 2 days later we found out it had parvo. $1,500 dollars later it still didnt make it.

Everyone has an opinion at Petsmart LOL.
Every time I took my puppy out, random people said my dog didnt look like a german shepherd and was small. At 5 months hes pretty big for his age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts