German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued a 8 week old male puppy last week from a pound. We were told both parents were german shepherds but we are unsure. We were also thinking he may be a sable based on his coat color. His one ear is standing up but not the other. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Below are images of his litter which look white but were actually a light brown, his parents and him. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes those were all his litter mates. &That one puppy with the spot is what really through us off. I did see that there are chances of the same litter having two sires but the warden said hes about 99% sure that the parents were the ones pictured. Mom in front and Dad in back. I guess the guy who owned Mom and Dad does let them run off a lot and that's where the picture came from due to somebody else taking it and turning it in to him. I look at a lot of sable puppies and we have high hopes but just with all the circumstances we are unsure.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'd say a multiple sired litter is a distinct possibility. I had a dog who was the only mixed breed puppy born in a litter of otherwise purebred Dobermans. The only real way to know for certain if the male GSD with the bitch is the sire of all the puppies is to do a DNA test on everyone, and really, unless they were turned in with papers, there isn't really any point to that, IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts