German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I brought my female puppy 2 weeks ago and she was apparently 9 weeks old. She was very skinny and only weighed 3.3 kg she now is 5.1kg or 11.2lbs I'm not sure if she is just small or has pituitary dwarfism?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

She is cute as a button for sure. She could be just small for the time being. Or she may not be as old as the breeder said she was. ( it happens with less than reputable breeders). Have you taken her to the vet for a routine puppy health check? If you have what did the vet say about her size/age? She looks healthy in your pics. She doesn't look like a dwarf but you wouldn't know for sure until she is older or get a blood test (I wouldn't spend on that at this point).
My unqualified guess would be she is just small. Make sure she is dewormed if not already, fed her quality food and love her and she will grow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
These little beasts grow at very different rates. I had to keep being reminded that the averages we see posted everywhere on charts are AVERAGES, not constants. My girl was under 13 pounds at 16 weeks, but she's catching up slowly--5.5 months and getting closer to 40 pounds.

Give the little girl some time. :) And she is absolutely gorgeous--I love the poofy ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum!

She is cute as a button for sure. She could be just small for the time being. Or she may not be as old as the breeder said she was. ( it happens with less than reputable breeders). Have you taken her to the vet for a routine puppy health check? If you have what did the vet say about her size/age? She looks healthy in your pics. She doesn't look like a dwarf but you wouldn't know for sure until she is older or get a blood test (I wouldn't spend on that at this point).
My unqualified guess would be she is just small. Make sure she is dewormed if not already, fed her quality food and love her and she will grow.
Thanks

Under all that fur she Is still very underweight I have been to the vets with her 3 times in 2 weeks due to her having digestion problems they have told me it's too early to tell. I will be getting blood test done shortly either way I just hope she gains weight and is healthy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were you told she's purebred?
Hi

Yes I was told she was but not kc reg to be honest she was not in a good way when I got her I expect she was from a puppy farm sadly and I should of done more research but my previous dog and my mum have died in the past 3 months and I made a impulse buy based on a cute picture which I know is stupid.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
11# at 9 weeks isn't terrible. I think my male was 12# at 8 weeks. My females was smaller, one of 12 puppies, and she's now about 50#. Her size now is not indicative of being a dwarf.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Hi

Yes I was told she was but not kc reg to be honest she was not in a good way when I got her I expect she was from a puppy farm sadly and I should of done more research but my previous dog and my mum have died in the past 3 months and I made a impulse buy based on a cute picture which I know is stupid.
Don't be hard on yourself. It sounds like you have gone through a lot of emotional stress recently and if having a puppy to love is helping you go with it. You would not be alone in this world with an impulse purchase of a pet. Our girl was only 11.4 lbs at 10 wks. Once she got dewormed, coccidia free, settled in and on a good diet she steadily gained weight. Some weeks as much as 3 lbs others much less. When all was said and done by a year of age she was 68 lbs. which is just fine for a female. I wish she was just 68 lbs now as a 7 she is a tad over weight at 78-80 lbs.
It sounds like she is getting good vet care. Try not to worry. Feed her well but don't over feed. Play and bond with her. Give her a little time. You will be surprised how quickly they blossom in a good home.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Hi

Shadow was small when I got her. She caught up just fine and is around 60lbs at ideal weight. Sabi was a tiny bit of a thing at 7 weeks and was 82lbs ideal weight.
Don't stress. She looks healthy and alert. Bonus that she is really cute! Just love your puppy.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy, what have you named her? I had to smile at her toys under the TV cabinet, The record number of balls under my dog's 'go to' cabinet is 5, put there deliberately of course.

Your puppy put on 7.26 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm wondering if her digestive problems could be due to overfeeding, feeding her more than her system can cope with. Maybe an experienced puppy person can comment.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I spent the first two years of Elva's life convinced there was something wrong with her and I wasn't feeding her right, or I was doing something else wrong.. or whatever. She was a tiny girl and she wasn't interested in food, so I was sure there was a problem. I probably confused her a lot by trying to change up her food all the time trying to find something she really liked. There's even threads in the forum where I'm desperately asking for advice. She was a tiny pup, but 5 years on, she's breed standard, albeit at the low end, and is a very happy healthy girl.

Reactions: Springbrz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations on your new puppy, what have you named her? I had to smile at her toys under the TV cabinet, The record number of balls under my dog's 'go to' cabinet is 5, put there deliberately of course.

Your puppy put on 7.26 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm wondering if her digestive problems could be due to overfeeding, feeding her more than her system can cope with. Maybe an experienced puppy person can comment.
Hi,

I have called her sable, and I have been advised to feed her 6 times a day but perhaps I have been overfeeding her slightly? As she was so skinny when I got her I didn't think she would make it at one point. But I'm just glad she is gaining weight now hopefully she will be ok.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have never heard of feeding a pup 6X a day.
How much of what are you feeding each time?
If kibble, look on the bag for how many kcal/cup so you can calculate how many calories per day you are feeding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have never heard of feeding a pup 6X a day.
How much of what are you feeding each time?
If kibble, look on the bag for how many kcal/cup so you can calculate how many calories per day you are feeding.
Hi

I was advised by a vet as she was very malnourished when I got her so it would prevent her going into ketosis as she had low blood protein levels and no muscle mass she is doing a lot better now though.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
My Zoda was 10 lbs at 12 weeks old (not taken care of properly by the people who had her). She was always tiny, but she also has never been a big eater. She nibbles and walks away, nibbles and walks away. I was always concerned about her weight. She is now 2 and a half and a healthy, lean 60 lbs. She is just on the small side of standard.

Could be that your dog is also on the lower end for the standard range. Give it time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe dwarf dogs are not proportionally small. A friend owns a dwarf Rottweiler and it is near normal sized in every respect except for its legs which are extremely short, like a Bassett Hound. In fact when she first adopted the dog she thought it a Bassett/Rottweiler cross.
Your puppy may be small but aside from being very cute (everyone here seems to agree on that) it also appears to be well proportioned.
Like people, dogs come in various sizes and I think that regardless of her size she is going to grow up to be a beautiful dog.

·
Registered
105 Posts
She’s beautiful :)
Don’t beat yourself up, I’ve had my fair share of impulse-buy dogs... everyone has their reasons.
I’m going to guess she’s much younger than 9 weeks and having digestive issues because she wasn’t properly weaned... if that’s the case, pay more attention to her immune system than anything else. I would also ask your vet what the best route to go with her vaccines is. Also try to limit any kind of antibiotics. Don’t worry too much about her weight, if you’re feeding her right, that’s all you can do... she’ll grow at her own rate.
If it makes you feel better, you can do all the research you want and still be scammed by a breeder... I bought one of my dogs from a “reputable breeder”... I won’t go into it... He turned out to be an amazing dog but also a genetic defect at the same time. Nothing but health issues from day 1. I wish someone would have told me at the beginning that it wasn’t my fault and it was nothing I did that made him that way. It turned out years later that all the puppies from that litter were that way. I spent years trying to figure out what was causing the immune issues... turned out it was from NOT having an immune system and the food and medications didn’t matter.

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
from the history - I would expect her light weight to have been due to heavy parasite loads....make sure she is tested for giardia, coccidia and tapes as well as round worms.....

I had 2 dwarf pups years ago - very very very well bred pups!!!! As adults, they were 8 pounds and 17 pounds....at 9 weeks - they were the size of normal 3-4 week old pups, and were well fed, healthy and parasite free......thus, I feel that your pup is showing signs of the poor care than anything else! Hopefully, you can turn her around and she will be fine!

Please keep the board updated! And best of luck to her!

Lee

1 - 20 of 20 Posts