German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a female German Shepherd who is a little more then 7 weeks old. She weighs around 6 to 7lbs and I am worried that she might be a dwarf. I saw both her parents, so I know that she is purebred, the father was a larger then average dog, while the mother was your standard dog (height and weight). I have attached the pictures, so please see and give your opinion.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
She's only 7wks old, I think she looks just fine, personally. What a cute little girl! And she's got a coat on her!! Beautiful. You have to remember that females are smaller than males-I think her weight is OK.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
You don't say what country you are in....

Most pups are 12-15 pounds at this age...the third photo looks a bit suspicious...head and coat are different on a dwarf

There is a blood test that will be able to tell - please take her to a vet and have blood drawn and sent in to tell for sure...I would not be surprised if she is a dwarf - and they are very cute...they will probably start her on a thyroid med if she is...

Lee

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My pup was 14-15 lbs when she came home at 8 weeks, but she's also large for a WL female. That does seem small to me, and she does look a bit like she could be a dwarf.

I agree with wolfstraum, I'd get her in for a blood test.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I only saw two of her littermates, and see seemed the biggest and most active. I must admit there is some resemblance between the dwarf GSD in the video and the one I own.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
If there were THREE puppies in the litter and she was the largest and most active, I don't think she's a dwarf. Never heard of an entire litter of dwarfs.

She's just adorable..

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
My boy was 9 1/2 pounds at eight weeks.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
My male was 9lbs at 8 weeks. He's perfectly healthy. Have the blood test done

·
Registered
86 Posts
idk, but the video of that dwarf gsd, i think, is the cutest thing ive ever seen. Me and my wife want one now. Big GSD outside, mini gsd inside!

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Actually dwarfs usually do come in multiples in a litter....had a litter with 2 of them....it wasn't until they were 8-10 weeks that I really knew there was a problem...

Lee

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Actually dwarfs usually do come in multiples in a litter....had a litter with 2 of them....it wasn't until they were 8-10 weeks that I really knew there was a problem...

Lee
Ah ha- you know first hand! Very interesting. Do you have pics of them?

·
Registered
226 Posts
My little girl was small at 7.5 weeks. Only weighing 7.6lb. (3.4kg) we had some trouble with her diet, and she didn't eat for 24 hours when she was 9 weeks old. She's 10.5 weeks old now and weighs 11lb. She's still a bit skinny. Perhaps get your pup to a vet and see if there's anything they can do to help with weight gain? Would be hard to see her actual body condition with all that fluff!!! :D here's my girl at 7.5 and at 10 weeks.
ImageUploadedByPG Free1372986821.854106.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1372986852.096318.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
424 Posts
In all honesty.. I can clearly see dwarfism. But I am no expert. Still a great little pup.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Oh wow. Yeah. With the new pics you posted, I see it, too. But I'm also not an expert. Bring it to the vet to be sure. What an absolutely adorable pup, though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts