German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,596 Posts
With a coatie it's hard to tell from photos unless you wet down the fur first. There are plenty of charts all over the internet that show what your dog should look like from above and the side.

It's better to be on the slim side than heavy.

Why do you think it's heavy.

·
Registered
983 Posts
What does your vet say about his weight?

I would be careful in cutting food on a dog that age. Yes, you don't want him fat, but he also needs a lot of nutrition to develop good, strong bones and joints.

What do his backbone and ribs feel like?

Can you post pictures of him standing, one from the side and one from above?

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Take picture of his full length from above. It’s hard to see his full shape from the angles in your pictures. He doesn't look fat to me but he shouldn’t eat anything you don’t give him. No junk on walks, ever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is not ok. You need to put a stop to it. It is incredibly dangerous and could end up making him sick, or worse.
Yes, I know. I try monitoring him as much as I can but when he is off leash he is likely to find something to eat. He runs away probably because he knows it is not ok, I am trying to bribe him with treats when I approach him - so that he doesn’t feel as if he is being punished but more like replacing what he found with something better. So far he didn’t eat things like stones or non-edible items. Just junk or poop or food he found on the ground

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What does your vet say about his weight?

I would be careful in cutting food on a dog that age. Yes, you don't want him fat, but he also needs a lot of nutrition to develop good, strong bones and joints.

What do his backbone and ribs feel like?

Can you post pictures of him standing, one from the side and one from above?
I can feel his ribs but I am not sure how much am I supposed to feel them. He has a layer over them but I can still feel them when rubbing him. I will try and post a photo from a better angle

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
484 Posts
Yes, I know. I try monitoring him as much as I can but when he is off leash he is likely to find something to eat. He runs away probably because he knows it is not ok, I am trying to bribe him with treats when I approach him - so that he doesn’t feel as if he is being punished but more like replacing what he found with something better. So far he didn’t eat things like stones or non-edible items. Just junk or poop or food he found on the ground
I don’t want to be mean but I would seriously hunker down on this. You never know what someone did to the food. One of my neighbors has been dumping cooked chicken bones at the perimeter of her yard to stop dogs from pooping in her lawn. Have you considered putting a long lead on him? With Fern I had to dig into her gullet to get the chicken bone out. Now I don’t even let her head down when we pass their house.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Why is your 6 month old pup off leash if he eats unknowns off the ground and doesn't have perfect recall?
If he runs away and needs to be bribed....he shouldn't be loose.

Work on obedience and you'll also gain control over whatever poop and garbage he's trying to ingest. He's not getting overweight from eating poop and some random garbage but it could be very dangerous; take that seriously.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,596 Posts
I can feel his ribs but I am not sure how much am I supposed to feel them. He has a layer over them but I can still feel them when rubbing him. I will try and post a photo from a better angle
Relax your hand and then use the other hand to rub across the knuckles, this will be close to the feeling you want. Make a tight fist and rub across the knuckles, this is what too lean would feel like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts