German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy, who may be mixed with another breed (we get mixed opinions from vets, groomers, other dog owners) seems to be changing color! Is this due to shedding, getting his adult coat? From the sun? It's gotten more obvious over the last few days, especially that area behind his ears which looks like hairs are tan tipped. I've never seen a dog go through a major color change so I am just really curious if this is a temporary thing. He has always had that streak on his forehead but it has lightened a lot int he last few days. And now his sides look sort of brown streaked, and the ear area.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even with pure bred shepherds the black ones can have color bleed through.

I had never really heard of bleed through until now. I've never had a black dog before now and I guess I never looked close enough at others to notice such a thing. It looks pretty cool on him though, whether it is considered desirable or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a pure black GSD. When her undercoat starts to shed out, it appears more brown than black.
I was thinking it could be shedding related. I remember when the shepherd mix I grew up with would blow his coat, and how different he would look during and after. I brush this pup every night and pretty much nothing comes out. His fur is still pretty thin on the sides but I am thinking maybe I need a slicker brush or something soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts