German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I present you Luna! She's 8 months old German Shepherd she's very active and a few weeks ago I took her to a park and I noticed that some other German Shepherd around her age are quite different physically Luna has a straight back and very long legs unlike the others dogs I want to know is this is normal because other has sloped back or maybe she's a mix breed thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Davy0324, I am the furthest thing from a German shepherd connoisseur; however, I have been doing a lot of reading on the breed and the physical/appearance changes it has had through the years. While I cannot answer your question, I can share a very detailed history article I read. I actually pdf’ed and bookmarked it so I could easily refer back to sections later. The link is below. The section of interest may be the “Hip Joint”. The 1900 GS’ structure was more rectangular in appearance. Mind you, there is such a thing as too much information, at least for someone new like me. It can make your head hurt and be quite frustrating when you are not able to easily retain everything learned.

In my case, the research is to become a bit more educated as I search for our new family member. In your case, you already have Luna and she is very pretty!

From the non-educated, just enjoy her! :) Others with actual knowledge will chime in and answer your actual question.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's not a back issue, she lacks angulation in her hind end. The "sloping back" isn't due to how straight the back is it is from angulation. She could be pure or she could be mixed. Purebred and well bred are not the same thing.

Here is an image of my boy standing square and you can see the difference in angulation.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191019154734808.jpg

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Collie mix was my first thought, too. The lack of angulation, long nose and the light colouration on her front feet gives it away. Also she has longer hair on her tail than most purebred GSDs.

Edit: I see she loves to dig!! :LOL: Lucky you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of our dogs is a collie/GSD (and some other things) mix. Luna's back end looks just like Marley's. My husband always says he (the dog ?) has a jacked up rear end.

1580148268417.png

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think collie/GSD mixes are a great cross. Both are herding breeds, and many of the farm dogs I've known in the past were this sort of mix. They were excellent farm dogs: protected the property, great with kids, and some would herd the cattle, too.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
She is 8 months? That can be an awkward growth phase, dependant on the dog. I would not rule out purebred but as others have pointed out there is a vast difference between purebred and well bred.
She is lovely either way.
Also spaying young can alter growth.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think collie/GSD mixes are a great cross. Both are herding breeds, and many of the farm dogs I've known in the past were this sort of mix. They were excellent farm dogs: protected the property, great with kids, and some would herd the cattle, too.
I like them too, Sunsilver.

OP, she's a nice looking pet quality dog. Maybe purebred, maybe not.

I prefer straight back, not much angulation in a GSD, and long haired. That's my preference. So by definition they are ALL pet quality. I cannot breed or show them (in conformation, reg'd long coats can show in Obedience), but they work for me, and don't hurt my heart. When I got Ellie, her breeder from Germany was working on breeding old fashioned GSDs. Straight backs, good minds. I got my perfect dog and partner for now 9 years. Unfortunately she's riddled with physical problems, but she is 9
My newest pup is not CKC registered, but I know her parents and grand parents. I adore her as well. She's 8 months. She's not super fluffy, and her long hair hides her parents bat-ears! Seriously...I love her parents but they look nothing like Daisy! She's pretty.
I'm a horse person, and I love watching her trot, it's quite lovely and would be super nice on a horse. ;)

Basically, love what you have and appreciate her uniqueness. She has a lovely, kind face.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks to all of you for ur answers! I didnt notice about the Collie/GSD but yeah maybe she could be a Mix breed after all who knows, I'm so happy with her she's so loyal and follows me everywhere and yeah she likes to dig a lot! she bury her bones or toys.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
To be honest, I’m not sure what people are talking about. I see a pet-bred (not at all bred to standard) purebred, long coat German shepherd. I wouldn’t discount her being purebred as easily as that. If you really are curious, you should get a DNA test done and let us know the results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks to all of you for ur answers! I didnt notice about the Collie/GSD but yeah maybe she could be a Mix breed after all who knows, I'm so happy with her she's so loyal and follows me everywhere and yeah she likes to dig a lot! she bury her bones or toys.

View attachment 557113
Collie/GSD mixes are very smart, so here's a simple test you can perform. Sit you d

View attachment 557113
Collie/GSD mixes are VERY smart, so here's a simple test you can run. Sit Luna in front of a blank 1040 Tax form and a pencil. If after 10 minutes she's done, including all exemptions, you probably have a Collie/GSD mix! ;-D LOVE those dogs, they are the absolute best!! The best!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I vote GSD too. One of our rescue herd looks a lot like Luna (except longer coat) - he's taller than the average GSD, has a super long coat, a straight back, a nose that goes for miles and he's the sweetest/friendliest dog we've ever had.

We finally tested him (just because everyone always asked what he was) and he came back as GSD with a trace of Chow. We were surprised as we suspected he had some Pyrenees in him based on his coat and build.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts