German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg

If you ask me he looks pure bred but I can be wrong.
He is longer than tall but his muzzle is a little short but that can just be because he's young.
Anyway he's about 9 weeks old or a little less and he's just a doll.
I'm sorry for the pure quality of the picture I'm having a hard time with the attachment system.

My mom actually got him for me on Saturday completely unexpected.
He was bred by my mom's friend's daughter-in-law's mom. She attests that they are pure. I never saw the mom or father but my mom has.
She said that the mom of my puppy is AKC registered and that the father wasn't but one of the dogs(possibly my pup's dad) was/is a police dog.
Like I said he looks pure to me but my dad thinks his fur is too light.
More than anything I'm worried that his ears won't stand up alone. I hope they do though. I'll glue them if not or however is the best way to go about it.
I just wanted to know if anyone can tell if he looks pure. I think so, but I'm not sure of the breeders legitimacy. The breeder has been breeding for awhile though I'm pretty sure.
He looks just like a German and acts like one but his coat is shorter than my last shepherd and his fur on his chest is a whitish cream color.
I'm just worried that we got ripped off.
I love him just the same, I just want to know and I want his ears to stick up.
Any and all answers appreciated. Please excuse my infrequency in responding I will be checking to see if I have answers.
Thanks much all. :)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
GSD puppy ears...they go up & down during teething...normal. Don't mess with them. My boys ears were up completely, no longer dropping close to 6 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I apologize for the photo quality. It's hard to keep him to sit still long enough! Not to mention it was taken on my phone. When I have a chance ill upload more pictures.
The quality didn't look bad on my phone but I am not sure.
In any case my other main concern is his ears. I know he's only 9 weeks and it can take up to months but will there be any way to know if I need to glue them?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
the pup is yours and it's to late worry about if the pup
is this or that. give the pup the best in it's upbringing
and you and the pup are going to be fine.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
You definitely got ripped off. You went to a breeder who is breeding an AKC dog to a non-AKC dog, and charging money for the puppies. If I had a nickel for all the dogs around here whose owners claim sire or grandsire was a police dog, well, I could probably buy a carton of cigarrettes. That's a lot of busy police dogs in my neighborhood. It is amazing their handlers have time to do police work.

The puppy could be pure-bred. Who knows? Without a pedigree, you can't be sure. The bigger question is why does it matter to you? What are your plans for your maybe GSD that would be different if it turns out to not be total-GSD?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My plans for him are absolutely the same regardless unconditional love for his whole life. I was just curious of opinions to see if anyone knew if he was or not.
And yes people shouldn't charge for dogs like that but they needed good homes. I don't know my mom found him and didn't even alert me. I think he's cute and I am honestly not worried about blunders in his breeding as long as he looks the part. I just don't want to tell people he's pure if he's not, I don't care for pedigree because of anything all I would do would be canine good citizen and I was thinking about search and rescue.
My primary concern is if he will at least have pointed ears and what have you.

I could care less about pedigree there are countless numbers of wonderful mutts who need good homes.
I just don't wanna be a liar by accident.
He looks close enough to me.
It's just a matter of breed specific characteristics.
I want the loyalty of a shepherd more than anything.
You know?
If he's not completely pure it won't effect my love for him.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a pure bread pup who is 4 months old and I can trace his lines all the way back to Westphalia Germany. I will soon receive the "pink papers" as soon as they are available to me. The only thing I can say is that although I'm a new GSD owner I have seen enough GSD's to tell if they are German or American bred and you can tell a lot by looking at there head. My boy has a block head compared to American bred who seen to have longer snouts.I know this dog was a gift but if you truly wanted a pure bread you should have you have to research the broader as well as the breed surveys and line.

As far as his hears are concerned, don't expect them to pop up right away. My boys ears popped up at two months. I also gave him marrow bones that you can get at a butcher shop or toys which will strengthen his jaw muscles which will ultimately help with his ears.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
You should be more worried about temperament than looks.

I think he's cute and I am honestly not worried about blunders in his breeding as long as he looks the part. I just don't want to tell people he's pure if he's not, I don't care for pedigree because of anything all I would do would be canine good citizen and I was thinking about search and rescue.
My primary concern is if he will at least have pointed ears and what have you.

I could care less about pedigree there are countless numbers of wonderful mutts who need good homes.
I just don't wanna be a liar by accident.
He looks close enough to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am worried about temperament.
So far he seems pretty good. Maybe a little more anxious then I would hope but keep in mind I've had him a sum total of 3 days and 4 nights. In those 3 days he totally opened up and is a playful happy pup.
So for temperament his a good. I'm not completely new to the world of dog breeding and I've checked his temperament and so had my mom.

Like I said I didn't get a chance to do any research because it was a gift. I'm not entirely worried about blood purity I just wanted some opinions from people more educated than I.
In any case he's a good puppy who needed a good home and I wanted a dog so I'm glad we have each other.
Like I said I just wanted educated opinions I just don't want to be made a liar.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
there is a thread here about puppy ears. At nine weeks, don't worry. It is hard to say that because a lot of people worry about the ears.

Just because the ears didn't go up, doesn't mean it isn't pure.

I guess, I just would say the dog is a German Shepherd. At nine weeks you cannot tell by behavior whether or not it is purebred. It's adult temperament is a long way off.

If you expect that it is a pure-bred German Shepherd Dog, then you will expect to take him to training classes and keep him little mind as well as his teeth busy. GSDs are not only loyal, they are intelligent. Intelligent dogs are not always the easiest pets because they think of all kinds of ways to channel their energy.

So treat your dog as a GSD, and train him. When the dog is 5 months old you may want to re-think whether or not to glue if they are not up yet. But you are a ways away. GSD ears can go up at 11 months. It is just rare. Usually they go up and down through teething, and then they go up and stay there if they are going to.

Any dog can get a CGC so that should be no problem -- not having a pedigree.

I think the only way you can claim pure-bred is if you have a pedigree to back that up. But why would you go out of your way to say pure-bred. I have pure-bred GSDs -- all of them are. I think that is the first time I ever said that. They are German Shepherd Dogs.

Enjoy your puppy.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
You will see who he really is at around one to two years old. That is when you will find out his true temperament.
Good luck.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
There is temperament -- which includes the genetic stuff, and the pack order stuff. The big thing is how the dam is. If her temperament is solid, then most likely the pup will also be, because the pup gets half her genes, and also is imprinted by her throughout its crucial young experience.

There is socialization -- which can make a difference in how comfortable your dog is in any situation. A dog with a good, solid temperament will be less likely to be negatively impacted to little or poor socialization, but how do you take that chance? A dog with a less stellar temperament can be positively impacted by a committment to proper socialization.

There is training -- a well-mannered dog is not an accident and it is not genetic, it is up to you the owner. Solid nerves, or weak nerves, training is essential. Any dog is a nuisance if it is not under control. Start young and positive, and you will most likely not have to worry about any nuisance behavior.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I honestly did forget his true temperament takes a few years to show through.
He seems pretty loyal already and I have been doing very much socialization (humans, other dogs(we have like 6 Vizslas), and cats so far. I think I'll wait till he's older to introduce him to littler kids.

I've been doing some research and yes I know they are intelligent dogs. I plan on socializing him and training him at least basics by myself and if need be ill get help for further obedience.
I'm a pretty smart guy myself so I'm not too worried about his intelligence. I actually want an intelligent dog. They're be harder to train but down the road it will be worth it.

But yes I want to say he's a GSD or close to it. I love him regardless.
I can't wait to see the dog he grows in to.

It may also be important to note that he has been holding his ears out more and a little more up. My mom said she didn't notice that yesterday. So I'm sure he's on track.
I understand there is an entire thread on ears but I just have one last question on the subject and that is how old is too old to have them taped/glued?

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
GSDs are generally easy to train. But they can think up all sorts of things like, how to open the kennel or crate, how to get into the child-proof cupboards, and if bored, how to chew through a wall, or eat the flooring off the floor.

I don't know when you give up on ears and glue. At five months you can look at the ears and see how they are positioned and how heavy they are, and whether it is likely or unlikely they will go up on their own. Then you can decide to give them more time, or start the gluing process. Let's hope you won't need to.

·
Registered
308 Posts
He looks exactly like my GSD when I got her at 9 weeks, and she's darkened up, her nose has lengthened, and her ears are so up she looks like a donkey. He is adorable, have fun!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts