German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started her on a raw diet composing of - chicken neck, ground beef, ground pork, chicken gizzards, liver, eggs, some fruits and veggies - around May this year. I feed her around 1kg per day. Clearly I am quite new to raw feeding, but I have done my research on the balance of these ingredients. I also know that dogs that have a transition from kibble to raw diet will go thru some sort of detox. I have read that I should not be seeing her skin when the detox starts. I noticed this hair loss started last week, so about a month since I started feeding her raw. I am just wondering if this is just her starting to detox or should I be concerned about allergies? the area inside the red circle in my 2 attached photos were full of hair before, the other side is in the same situation.

also, I don't know if I should post this in this thread or in the raw feeding thread. sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Because most prepared dog food is chucked full of chemicals and additives, when switched to a raw diet, the immune system is affected and they begin a “healing” or "detoxing, or as some people call it a "herxing".

Excreting these toxins could take from a few days, to a few months, depending on how much toxic waste his system has held on to (all dogs are different). A dog will have even more toxins in his system from the vaccinations he’s had and if he has been treated with topical insecticides’. Some dogs will have a mild detox some won’t, some a huge detoxing.

A dog's body has to release these toxins and it is excreted in different ways.
Dogs could show upsetting signs such as drainage from the ears and/or eyes, vomiting, diarrhea, stool that will smell SO bad it would make the strongest stomach urp! Stool with strange colors, mucousey stool, discharge from the penis or vagina, bad breath, ITCHING….even MORE than he/she was itching before, licking himself, and, thru the skin such as open sores or making him smell like last week’s garbage that’s been rotting out in the sun, or even loosing hair (various articles mention this)!
Virgin Organic Coconut oil, probiotic's and digestive enzymes can help.

If new hair growth is not noticed in a reasonable amount of time, you may want to get a skin scraping done to rule out mites. BTW, hair will grown back very soft.

Moms:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, and sorry for how long I responded.
how long is a reasonable amount of time? I don't think she has mites since she's not scratching that much.
and in an average, if she is just detoxing, how long should I wait before the hair grows back?
she's still very active. she doesn't have any part of her turning red. so I would really rule out allergies.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
what I am seeing is not typical of a detox .
the skin on the belly is clean as a whistle -- nice to see!

I think this is a case of over grooming.

I don't see a hint of undercoat . Every hair lying flat and in the same direction . No hair on the back of her legs (skirt).

There is not a lot of volume to the adult guard hairs.

That , on top of , normal light responsive shedding cycle.

Do you use a furminator?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts