German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new to this GSD forum. It's just 2 months ago he joined our family. He is Simba as my sister is fond of Lion king. We wanted to buy a gsd puppy with certificates, but due to covid 19 lockdown in my region we couldn't. Breeder confirms that the puppy is a long coat GSD as mother and father both are long coat. Simba is in good condition and very active. But I feel like he is medium coat puppy. I just want to confirm with you guys. He is 77 days old. He has fur between paws. He has just shiny single coat. Very less hairs in his bottom belly. I have attached his images from age 77 days to 32 days.
IMG_20200706_133754.jpg

77 days old

IMG_20200608_114627.jpg

52 days old

IMG_20200520_145358.jpg

36 days old

IMG_20200520_141522.jpg

32 days old

IMG_20200522_180448.jpg
38 days old

IMG_20200522_180454.jpg

38 days old

·
Registered
137 Posts
He’s beautiful :)
I’m guessing long. I’ve only had short coats and none of them were ever that fluffy as puppies. Their coats go through different stages when they’re puppies but short seems to be an even length the whole time.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The younger pictures do look pretty fluffy. But the older picture is very different. I would say he's a stock, or normal coat. He lacks the characteristic ear floof that is pretty indicative of a long coat.

Cute pup whatever coat he turns out to have. I vote stock coat.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well if I hadn’t seen the most recent picture of him, I might have agreed on long coat (though I’d like to see a picture of him next to a littermate to compare), but seeing the newest picture, he’s definitely a stock coat. Enjoy him anyway, as I’m sure you will!

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
he’s not collared in his younger photos - if the earlier photos are from the breeder (he’s very young), are you certain these are all the same puppy?

Reactions: Martin and Pawsed

·
Registered
784 Posts
He is a stock coat. Long coats have really fluffy ears and long white floofs growing inside the ears. Those are the tells I look for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he’s not collared in his younger photos - if the earlier photos are from the breeder (he’s very young), are you certain these are all the same puppy?
Yes, All pics have been taken by myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if I hadn’t seen the most recent picture of him, I might have agreed on long coat (though I’d like to see a picture of him next to a littermate to compare), but seeing the newest picture, he’s definitely a stock coat. Enjoy him anyway, as I’m sure you will!
Yes, damp sure we are enjoying him.😍

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was wondering the same thing... the nail colours are all different in the pics. (Yes I’m that bored 😂).

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
The thing that catches my eye is that the parents are both long coats. Longcoat is recessive. In order to be a longcoat, the dog must carry two recessive longcoat genes and can only pass a long coat gene onto its progeny. In other words, two longcoat parents cannot produce a short stock coat puppy which this appears to be.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
^ yes, assuming the parents actually were indeed long coats... and this puppy is from the supposed parents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering the same thing... the nail colours are all different in the pics. (Yes I’m that bored 😂).
Haha, will remove the collar and post the pics tomorrow. And about nail, I didn't even noticed in pics🤣. You have bull's eye.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thing that catches my eye is that the parents are both long coats. Longcoat is recessive. In order to be a longcoat, the dog must carry two recessive longcoat genes and can only pass a long coat gene onto its progeny. In other words, two longcoat parents cannot produce a short stock coat puppy which this appears to be.
I have the same doubts. Problem in my regional breeder is they will trim the long coat dogs to ease their maintenance. I asked breeder multiple times and he said pls wait until 4 months. But I m so curious to find it before that😅. Vet also said the same. He said definitely it is not the short coat. Might be medium or long coat. Vet asked abt the mother's previous litter. Don't know how it get counted🧐

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I have the same doubts. Problem in my regional breeder is they will trim the long coat dogs to ease their maintenance. I asked breeder multiple times and he said pls wait until 4 months. But I m so curious to find it before that😅. Vet also said the same. He said definitely it is not the short coat. Might be medium or long coat. Vet asked abt the mother's previous litter. Don't know how it get counted🧐
Don't matter if the parents were trimmed or not. It's all about genetics and that is a stock coated puppy.

Reactions: Martin

·
Registered
137 Posts
😂😂😂 you didn’t tell us he got a haircut!
If they did trim his fur and that is the same puppy then I’m guess he will be long coat.
Either way he’s still cute ☺

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
just to be clear, genetically there is no medium coat. stock coat or long stock coat. both have ranges. medium coat is a description, as is plush.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
😂😂😂 you didn’t tell us he got a haircut!
If they did trim his fur and that is the same puppy then I’m guess he will be long coat.
Either way he’s still cute ☺
No. I mean the parents they have shown to me are trimmed. So I didn't have any other choice than believing they are long coat and it is long coat puppy. Anyhow finally found he is a stock coat puppy. Thank you guys😍. Will post just his pics every month.

·
Registered
302 Posts
He's adorable! I'd wait a month or three and see what develops. If he gets like Duke invest in a furminator brush. You'll be glad you did.
Duke who is unquestionable a long hair (note the ear hair)
DSCN1101.JPG
:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts