German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my GSD puppy he is 10 weeks old but I personally think he’s a bit small for his age and I think his ears are quite small. If anyone has useful info I’d love to hear.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hard to see from just the image. How heavy is he? Did you get him from a breeder? Did you get to meet his parents?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He’s just over 6 pounds but he eats well. We didn’t get him from a breeder just from a litter of 5 from a guy an hour away. He owns the mother of the litter and she is a GSD and the father lives near the mother but we didn’t get to see him. Any more help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a picture of his 4 siblings which are all female and he is on the right. I think he is rather small compared to them but we were told his DOB his 25/01

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

This is my puppy at 5 weeks. Your breeder definitely lied about the age. Has your puppy been to a vet? That needs to be done ASAP. The vet will make sure he’s healthy and can likely confirm an age for you.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Agreed with the others... He looks younger than his supposed age. The youngest a pup should be separated from the mother is at 7 weeks old, so that the pups learn basic mannerisms / behaviour such as bite inhibition, which is hard to be fixed by humans. Also you can't really know how big he's gonna get without at least seeing one of the parents. My advice is to take him to a vet for general check up (always, upon getting a new dog. Wish I had known that sooner) to make sure everything's ok with him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes we brought him to the vet and they said he was completely healthy apart from some basic things like minor fleas. She thinks he is growing fine and doesn’t seem to think anything about his age really. I have a feeling that the breeder may have lied by adding a extra month to his age by saying 25/01 rather than maybe 25/02.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@McGloomy yes me too , his parents are definitely both GSDs well they look like it anyway. Do you think he’s definitely pure bred?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Without a pedigree one can never be 100% sure. But yeah, the pups look purebred and the mother as well. Just curious and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, which part of Ireland r u in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I agree and his Dad is actually quite small for his age and he is just 2 years old and is a smaller gsd but looks pure bred. I’m from Westmeath , whereabouts r you ?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Males grow until they're about 3 years so time will tell. We're in Galway, we moved from the US late last year. Very dumbfounded with the BSL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Galway is great place. Sorry for the mixup but the pic I sent of the mother is actually the father the mother is the one that is a small gsd I have a video of her at 1 year old and to me only looks like a 5 r 6 month old dog. So I am starting to think my pup might just be small for his age but I feel he might have a big growth spurt soon. If you have any questions about Ireland or anything I’ll answer lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts