German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently got an 8 week old GSD puppy. She got sick within a couple of days of bringing her home. At the vet, she weighed 3.6 LBS. She had bad bacteria in her GI tract, and worms. The vet gave us some antibiotics to give her, and he dewormed her. The antibiotics take the puppy's energy away, and make her not want to eat. She is very small, and I worry about her size.
Is she pure bred? If so, I hope she will put on some weight. Any advice/response is appreciated!

I have attached pictures :help:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
How much does she weigh?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Where did you get her?

I think she might be under 8 weeks. It looks like she might be a sable, but she is awfully dark colored for an 8 week old sable. I think they are born dark then get light then dark again.
https://kraftwerkk9.com/watch-the-sable-color-change-from-birth-to-adulthood-of-sable-german-shepherds/

Younger then you were told + illness might explain smaller size.

Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in. Try selzer - there was another thread recently about a teeny tiny pup and the thought was the pup was younger then they were told.

I'd do a forum search about antibiotics. Might want to do some after care.

My boy was 5.2 lbs at 8 weeks. He is a small male. Will be in the upper 60s low 70s when he is done filling out I think.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My guess is that she is under 8 weeks old. She looks purebred. There is picture of how my Kal looked as a puppy around a couple of months. Keep her nourished, hydrated and close; the pictures seem to make her look very vulnerable. Just my suggestion but maybe feed her yogurt with banana slices to keep her energy level up but be very guarded in what and how much you feed her.

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
Could be under 8 weeks or could just have not been taken care of. We had an 8 weeks old Boxer puppy who weighed 4# when we got her. As an adult, she weighs 45#. She was the runt, apparently never separated so she could eat, covered in scabs from the other puppies beating on her and flea/parasite infested. The other puppies were all a nice healthy weight. So if your puppy has a GI infection she probably wasnt' getting proper nutrients and therefore is small.

My guess is purebred. She's a sable.

Try giving her food first and then the meds. They are probably upsetting her stomach. Give her probiotics also. 2 hours after eating. She needs to rebuild the good bacteria in her gut.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe she needs time to adapt new boss and new home. And she misses her parent.
You need to take her to play in yard everyday.. so she can forget her past home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts