German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!:)

Could you guys please tell me if my female german shepherd is a sable? Her saddle has a really strange colors, If I pull her hair it has two colors on it, tan and black tips. When I bought her she was all tan, at 4 months, as you can see on the photo, she get darker. She's 2 years old now and she get more lighter. Her mother was like her but a little bit darker and her father was black and tan. So, is she a sable? and if so, what kind of sable is she?¿

Attachments

·
Registered
31,719 Posts
She sure looks like a sable. I believe she is a patterned sable?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
She's a patterned sable.

Here's my girl when I brought her home at 12 weeks old. .. .

Shasta now. . .

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
patterned sable is a sable coloration on the dog but the dog has the saddle. Not full bodied sable. Hence patterned sable. Sable saddle instead of solid black saddle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all!! =D Now I know that Nina, my german shepherd is a sable, a patterned sable. It's good to see another german shepherd that has the same colors as my dog Nina. =D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I have another question, it's normal for sables to get lighter, like my dog Nina?¿ because all the sables I have seen are dark, gray and brown.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Oh my god!!! your german shepherd is identical to mine!!:wild: what a beautiful dog you have!!
Thank you all!! =D Now I know that Nina, my german shepherd is a sable, a patterned sable. It's good to see another german shepherd that has the same colors as my dog Nina. =D

Thank you! My first GSD was a patterned sable as well. Glad you were able to get some answers! Your dog is beautiful!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Oh, I have another question, it's normal for sables to get lighter, like my dog Nina?¿ because all the sables I have seen are dark, gray and brown.

sables change so much as they grow and age. What I've noticed is they get darker and lighter with the seasons but its not always noticeable until you go back and look at pictures. Sables are notorious for coat changes. Shasta is pretty dark whereas Zena was a lighter patterned girl. Lemme see if I can find the picture I have of the two next to each other.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta on the left and Zena on the right. Sorry for the quality, it's a camera phone picture

Zena is estimated to be 10-12 years old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shasta on the left and Zena on the right. Sorry for the quality, it's a camera phone picture

Zena is estimated to be 10-12 years old.
OMG how beautiful they are!!! :wub: awww how cute!! I'm glad to see other german shepherds like my Nina.:wild:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
if you do a google image search for Patterned Sable GSD, it'll pull up several pictures. I just did the same search and have found not only several of my own pictures but other dogs as well.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
This guy would be considered sable. Not patterned, just sable.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Oh I see, so, he would be considered a Black Sable?¿ Isn't it?

I would consider him to be a black sable. I'm actually hoping one or two of the breeders can pop in here and explain all the differences. The above picture is one I found on a google search. GSDs come in so many different colors and so many different ranges IN those color palates, it amazes me still.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would consider him to be a black sable. I'm actually hoping one or two of the breeders can pop in here and explain all the differences. The above picture is one I found on a google search. GSDs come in so many different colors and so many different ranges IN those color palates, it amazes me still.

It amazes me too!! It's a shame that people in Europe doesn't know the Sable German Shepherd. They think it's a mix of german shepherd xD. Whenever I go for a walk with my dog Nina, people ask me if she is a mix of german shepherd, and I'm like: ignorant :paranoid:
I remember one day when I was at the park, there was two man, one of them had a show german shepherd and the other asked him if my dog and his dog were german shepherd. And the show german shepherd's owner said: mine is a german shepherd, this one (pointing at my dog) it's not a german shepherd. And I was like: What the **** did this man say?¿

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
You cant cure ignorance. YOU know what your dog is and that's what counts. If someone wants to argue with you about it, that just shows their ignorance. Sometimes you just have to walk away. It's hard sometimes but it works.

It wasn't until I joined this board that I learned just how many "types" of GSD there are! I knew they came in a range of colors because I'd seen the show lines AND the working lines but I've learned more on this board than I ever thought I would.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You cant cure ignorance. YOU know what your dog is and that's what counts. If someone wants to argue with you about it, that just shows their ignorance. Sometimes you just have to walk away. It's hard sometimes but it works.

It wasn't until I joined this board that I learned just how many "types" of GSD there are! I knew they came in a range of colors because I'd seen the show lines AND the working lines but I've learned more on this board than I ever thought I would.

Thank you for your advice :) you're very nice!!:hugs:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts