Registered
10,539 Posts
That would be way too soft for me.
What are you feeding?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He’s been on pet wants puppy formula his whole life. It’s a local freshly made subscription that delivers the food to my home every 4 weeks. These are the ingredients.
Guaranteed Analysis:
  • Crude Protein, min – 28.0%
  • Crude Fat, min – 17.0%
  • Crude Fiber, max – 3.5%
  • Moisture, max – 10.0%
  • Omega 6 Fatty Acid * (min) – 3.25%
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acid * (min) – 0.68%
* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO dog food nutrient profiles.
Ingredient Panel:
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Ground Grain Sorghum, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Oat Groats, Whitefish Meal, Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Pea Protein, Menhaden Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Whole Ground Flaxseed, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage (Source of Chondroitin Sulfate), Potassium Chloride, Salt, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Fructooligosaccharide, Turmeric Powder, Dried Carrots, Dried Spinach, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl- 2-Polyphosphate, Mixed Tocopherols, Niacin Supplement, Kelp Meal, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When he turns a year old (he’s 11 months right now) I’m going to switch him to their adult salmon formula which is this.

Guaranteed Analysis:
  • Crude Protein, min – 25.0%
  • Crude Fat, min – 14.0%
  • Crude Fiber, max – 3.5%
  • Moisture, max – 10.0%
  • Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (min) – 2.5%
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (min) – 1.43%
* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO dog food nutrient profiles.
Ingredients Panel:
Salmon Meal, Brown Rice, Millet, Ground Grain Sorghum, Oat Groats, Whitefish Meal, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Lecithin, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Alfalfa Meal, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Dried Blueberries, Dried Cranberries, Turmeric Powder, Dried Carrots, Dried Spinach, Fructooligosaccharide, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Mixed Tocopherols, Niacin Supplement, Kelp Meal, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His coat looks amazing and his weight is perfect but his stool has always been like this. It used to be much softer like the 2nd picture all the time but the owner of the pet wants recommended I add some adult food to the mix which I did and did stiffen it up to how it is now but as you can see it could be stiffer.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I’d be changing to a better quality food, you can also change to adult food now.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
What’s wrong with the food I sent?
I’m a raw feeder so if I had to feed kibble, I’d be looking for the cleanest kibble possible. I want to see meat, not meal and I want to see the meat at the top of the list like the screenshots I have attached.
I also think the food is the most likely cause of soft stools.
I

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
It is like that because of all the added ingredients he can’t digest. The food he is eating has all sorts of fillers, sorghum, brown rice, millet, oats... sounds like bird food!
Whatever can’t be digested is pooped out, and a dog simply doesn’t have the digestive tract to process all of those. That’s why he is pooing gooey mush.
I feed My Pet Carnivore or Raw Feeding Miami supplemented with Feedsentials, fish oil, vitamin C complex powder from Springtime, and Super Snouts green lipped mussel powder.
Sometimes I add berries or eggs, or Olewo carrots.
Rolf’s poops are always formed and firm. They look like eggs, LOL.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really like that Origen it looks very good. Once I use up my latest shipment of the pet wants I’m going to transition to that. Which flavor would you say is the best?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I really like that Origen it looks very good. Once I use up my latest shipment of the pet wants I’m going to transition to that. Which flavor would you say is the best?
I’m not really sure which one I’d start with as I don’t feed kibble but perhaps others here will chime in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m not really sure which one I’d start with as I don’t feed kibble but perhaps others here will chime in.
Ok thanks for your help, you mentioned I can feed him adult now, when I eventually do run out of the food I have now and begin the Origen would I feed him whats recommended for an adult? Or do I do what it says for puppies which I believe it 11/4 of what it says for an adult.

·
Super Moderator
5,502 Posts
Those charts are generalizations, and the more you feed, the more they make. Dogs gain and lose weight rapidly, compared to humans. Feed him 4 cups a day. Adjust according to his condition, not some chart.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, aren’t all of those deboned meats mostly water and they lose a lot of protein after being processed? Will it be enough protein for my dog?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which deboned meats?
Or just meat in general, from what I understand when they don’t say meal at the end that means they are going to lose a lot of the nutritional value that they claim to have. Could anyone clarify this for me.

·
Registered
32,128 Posts
38% protein not enough? I usually use something like 26%protein to 16%fat. I hear wonderful stuff about orijen, but I'd be in the poorhouse in a month. No way could I spend $100/bag of food.

Reactions: tim_s_adams

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
38% protein not enough? I usually use something like 26%protein to 16%fat. I hear wonderful stuff about orijen, but I'd be in the poorhouse in a month. No way could I spend $100/bag of food.
Noo what I’m saying is that I read that when they use these whole meats instead of meat meal a lot of those whole meats are water so once they’re cooked you lose a lot of protein and nutritional value in general. I believe the analysis Origen gives is before processing. That’s why I was wondering what the true protein amount is.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts